How to create a main menu with cool scenery - Part 2

Hi, hello! As mentioned in the title, this is part 2 of my previous tutorial. In this tutorial, you will learn how to:

• Make nice lighting
  • Cool scenery
  • Use terrain decently
  • Make a main menu!

You will also need some type of scripting experience if you want to modify this.

Building

To start off, make a small scene, I will be recreating the previous tutorial, just this time, it will have a bit more effort put into it. To start off, let’s work on the terrain, first thing you do is change the terrain color! These are the water settings I used:
And this is the sand color:

Now, I used the same campfire from the previous tutorial, just recolored it slightly and modified the particles. Now I just add some details to the build to make it seem better, such as:

• Logs to sit on
  • A fish which is getting cooked
  • A few characters such as myself and a friend, etc.

Lighting

As for lighting, these are my lighting settings:
I also used some other lighting properties such as these:

And two sunrays with the same properties

UI Design

I quickly made the UI with a background that is sized 1 x 1, I added a gradient with a small bit of black on one side, and used the gradient transparency tool to make it seem cooler. I then added a textbutton with the fantasy font and a UI stroke. Added a few lines which will be necessary later, and some loading text.

Scripting

Alright, to start off, make sure that the character doesn’t load. image

Now, to script the camera. First thing you want to do is add a part called “CameraPart” into workspace. Now, to get scripting!

-- // Variables \\ --
local Player = game.Players.LocalPlayer 
local Character = Player.Character
local Camera = workspace.CurrentCamera 
local Mouse = game.Players.LocalPlayer:GetMouse() 
local DefaultCFrame = workspace.CameraPart.CFrame 
local Scale = 500

-- // Main Logic \\ --
repeat wait() 
	Camera.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Scriptable 
until Camera.CameraType == Enum.CameraType.Scriptable 

game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function() 
	Camera.Focus = DefaultCFrame
	local Center = Vector2.new(Camera.ViewportSize.X/2, Camera.ViewportSize.Y/2)
	local MoveVector = Vector3.new((Mouse.X-Center.X)/Scale, -(Mouse.Y-Center.Y)/Scale, 0)
	Camera.CFrame = DefaultCFrame * CFrame.Angles(math.rad(MoveVector.X), math.rad(MoveVector.Y), math.rad(MoveVector.Z))
	Camera.FieldOfView = 83 
end) 

Camera.CFrame = workspace.CameraPart.CFrame

Scripting the gui:

game:GetService("StarterGui"):SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.All, false) -- Disabling the ui

local Play = script.Parent.PlayButton
local ClickSFX = game.SoundService.Click
local HoverSFX = game.SoundService.Hover
local HoverLine = script.Parent.Line
local Line = script.Parent.Line1

Play.MouseEnter:Connect(function()
	HoverSFX:Play()
	Play.Text = ">Play<"
	HoverLine.Position = UDim2.new(0.487, 0,0.548, 0)
	HoverLine.Size = UDim2.new(0.004, 0,0, 0)
	HoverLine.Visible = true
	Play:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(0.408, 0,0.429, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Elastic, 1.25, true) -- That "true" is to be able to override other tweens
	HoverLine:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(0.453, 0,0.548, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Sine, 0.4, true)
	HoverLine:TweenSize(UDim2.new(0.08, 0,0, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Sine, 0.4, true)
end)

Play.MouseLeave:Connect(function()
	Play.Text = "Play"
	Play:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(0.408, 0,0.449, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Sine, 0.25, true)
	HoverLine:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(0.487, 0,0.548, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Sine, 0.4, true)
	HoverLine:TweenSize(UDim2.new(0.004, 0,0, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Sine, 0.4, true)
	wait(0.001)
	HoverLine.Visible = false
end)

Play.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
	game.SoundService.Click:Play()
	Line.Visible = true
	wait(0.001)
	Line:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(0.44, 0,0.501, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.In, Enum.EasingStyle.Linear, 0.25, true)
	wait(0.5)
	Line:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(-0.006, 0,-0.001, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Sine, 0.5, true)
	Line:TweenSize(UDim2.new(1.109, 0,1, 0), Enum.EasingDirection.Out, Enum.EasingStyle.Sine, 0.5, true)
	wait(0.5)
	script.Parent.LoadingText.Visible = true
end)	

Final product:

Place

DevForum Main Menu - Tutorial - Roblox

Screenshots

All of the code should be self-explanatory, I even added some text in the code as a way for you to learn what the code does. Thanks for reading, have an amazing day/night!

16 Likes

Heyo! Since this is a tutorial, I would love to see you go a bit more in depth with your variables and why you do things one way or another.

Also some feedback on this tutorial.
wait(0.001) defaults to wait(.03) since that’s the lowest wait will go

When you increase the size of anything, you can use tweenSizeAndPosition, however the way you are modifying the size of the UI is extremely inefficient. You can use anchor point (see the intro to UIs here) in order to streamline that entire process and only adjust size.

That really all I have to say, I personally hate using odd numbers like 1.109 for positions, but it’s up to the developer to choose what to do.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for the feedback! It’s pretty obvious that I somewhat rushed this since I was a bit busy. Anyway, about the tween size and position, I knew about that, though, I’ve never tried using it since it seemed complicated, anyway thank you for replying, have a great day/night!

1 Like

canyoulet mobile users joined, not at my pc rn, and would like to test it, I can use a keyboard and mouse on it, so should work fine.

Hello. I have a question. Someone said in your previous post that this might cause lag. Can’t we just destroy the features once we press play? And how does it cause lag? I’m curious.

1 Like

Loading screens are really annoying when it comes to stuff like this because of cameras.
You might wanna have a system where you have character respawning disabled and it only loads from you wanting to.

I highly recommend you to change your wait()s for using Heartbeat from RunService. You can do that like this:

runService.Heartbeat:Wait()

That’s not it works, basically any wait() function, at least in Roblox, will yield for a bit, check if the time has passed, and if yes, continue everything, if not, then yield a bit more.

It’s not that wait will default to .3, that’s just because probably how often wait yields for in every check, because it’s on Roblox’s 30hz pipeline or something, so it’s less accurate.

People usually trade these systems for something that uses Heartbeat:Wait(), which gives you high precision when it comes to these things.

2 Likes

That wasn’t really the point, you don’t have to destroy anything, I said it causes lag if you were to use it in the same place, basically using unnecessary storage and stuff. So it’s preferable to have a separate place for each stage of your game, it just causes less lag.

That’s correct, but it’s simpler to say it becomes .03 :wink: rather than explain the 30hz limitation. Good point though