How to create depth in walls, ceilings and floors?

Hello!

I’m wondering how you guys here create depth in something like a floor, to make it seem like something real and not just a basic part. This is what I’ve come up with so far:

The one on the right is my current flooring, the left is my experimenting with parts. What would you all suggest I do to improve on this? Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

In my opinion, there’s sort of a spectrum for depth. On one hand, there’s flat floors, ceilings, and walls, and on the other hand, there’s a dramatic and somewhat unrealistic visual feel. Generally, you want to be in the middle where something feels detailed and realistic, but not overdone. Performance is normally a good thing to worry about too - having too many parts can obviously cause problems for big builds.

The floor on the right looks too flat. The floor on the left is, thinking realistically, a tripping hazard. The planks are raised and look more like bricks than objects nailed together. It’s also high in parts/triangles, so performance is a concern. If I were you, I’d use the flat floor (maybe using a custom board texture, and if you’re using the new studio beta trying out some PBR tools to add some extra depth in the texture itself), and add some props onto the floor like a carpet, rug, fallen objects, or objects in the space that take away attention from the floor.

With walls and ceilings, it’s a similar case. Add some objects onto them rather than trying to make them over-detailed. In the case of walls, you can add props like shelves, empty doors, paintings/pictures, light fixtures, etc. For ceilings, light fixtures, art pieces, etc.

5 Likes

Ah I see, I was worried about that same “tripping hazard” vibe, I’ll try out some PBR tools for sure! Thank you for the response!

2 Likes

Btw, if it isn’t any trouble, can you recommend any 3D modeling software besides something like Blender? If not it’s completely fine

1 Like

Well, to be honest, I tend to only use Blender for most of my purposes. When I took a CAD class in middle school though we used a nifty and pretty easy tool called SketchUp. It’s more for architectural drafting but I made some models with it. I’d recommend Blender more though, they have different workflows to learn and while Blender’s learning curve seems really daunting at first as you start to learn it, the workflow is really amazing.

Since we were just talking about PBR and textures, I’d recommend looking into the Substance suite. I’m practicing creating my own textures using Substance Designer, and a lot of rblx creators use Substance Painter to texture their models. Substance B2M is also pretty handy for converting images into loopable textures. I did get a little offtopic though so my final answer would be Sketchup if you need a simpler workflow to learn, but I’d really suggest sticking with Blender.

2 Likes

Ah thanks a million! Reason I ask is my graphics card was set into production 20 years ago so top-notch Blender crashes when I load it, I’ll definitely look into those programs you mentioned!

1 Like

I know this a old post but, do you guys know how to make flooring items like the ones in Quantum Science Inc? I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time, I couldn’t find any tutorials on it either. Please send me a response when you have the answer or you are available. Thank you.

wdym by floorings?
charcharcharchar