How to create first person movement?

Hello developers,

I want to create first person movement for my weapons. I don’t know entirely how to do it (Example: Arsenal FPS, Phantom Forces FPS, Criminality FPS, etc.)

I thought of using viewport frames, but I couldn’t find any resources on that, and so far the only code I’ve seen through free models is just a bunch of junk I can’t even begin to figure out, and I want to make it myself, so when I go to fix something, I know how to fix it. And I can create anything I want.

I’ve tried to look up tutorials on it, but its just either a gun system that confuses me, or some sort of free model to just download and insert.

More examples:

Anything helps, resources, tutorials, etc.

2 Likes

This is normally done by positioning the arms/weapon relative to the camera.

Run this code in the command bar or a local script:

local part = Instance.new("Part")
part.Parent = workspace
game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function()
	part.CFrame = workspace.CurrentCamera.CFrame * CFrame.new(3, -4, -9)
end)

A gray part will stay fixed to your screen somewhere to the bottom right.

The next step after this is to make that script place some arms and a gun in front of your camera instead of just a gray brick and to animate the hands/gun in response to firing, reloading, swinging the camera etc. and to account for the aspect ratio and field of view.

2 Likes

How would I animate this? It doesn’t have a humanoid…

1 Like

Update: Tried using a model with a humanoid from the toolbox… I can’t clone it from anywhere into currentcamera. How do I fix this?

Edit: nevermind i figured it out

You don’t have to use Animations. Tweens or CFraming will suffice.
But Humanoid Animations are a smart choice if you can get them to work because you can create their animations with an animation editor instead of writing them in code.

1 Like

I actually got animations to work. But I can’t hide them when I unequip a tool of some sort. For example:

When I equip them, it clones a model from replicated first.

BUT: When I unequip, a bunch of errors come up, and I don’t know how to fix them.

12:10:13.765   ▶ Model:SetPrimaryPartCFrame() failed because no PrimaryPart has been set, or the PrimaryPart no longer exists. Please set Model.PrimaryPart before using this. (x74)  -  Client - LocalScript:10
  12:10:14.997  The Parent property of Viewmodel is locked, current parent: NULL, new parent Workspace  -  Client - LocalScript:7
  12:10:14.998   ▶ Model:SetPrimaryPartCFrame() failed because no PrimaryPart has been set, or the PrimaryPart no longer exists. Please set Model.PrimaryPart before using this. (x75)  -  Client - LocalScript:10

localscript:

local tool = script.Parent

local model = game:GetService("ReplicatedFirst").Viewmodel:Clone()

tool.Equipped:Connect(function()

model.Parent = workspace

game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function()
		model:SetPrimaryPartCFrame(workspace.CurrentCamera.CFrame * CFrame.new(0, 0, 0))
	end)

model.Humanoid.Animator:LoadAnimation(game:GetService("ReplicatedFirst").Viewmodel.Equip):Play()
end)

tool.Unequipped:Connect(function()
	model:Destroy()
end)

Seems like you’re simply not cleaning up after yourself. The RenderStepped event is still running even after the Model is deleted.

local tool = script.Parent

local model = game:GetService("ReplicatedFirst").Viewmodel:Clone()

-- added
local connection

tool.Equipped:Connect(function()

model.Parent = workspace

-- added `connection = `
	connection = game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function()
		model:SetPrimaryPartCFrame(workspace.CurrentCamera.CFrame * CFrame.new(0, 0, 0))
	end)

model.Humanoid.Animator:LoadAnimation(game:GetService("ReplicatedFirst").Viewmodel.Equip):Play()
end)

tool.Unequipped:Connect(function()
	-- added
	connection:Disconnect() -- prevent that function in RenderStepped from running again and printing errors
	model:Destroy()
end)

edit: this will not work if you equip it a second time after unequipping because model is destroyed; instead, set model.Parent = nil

Ohh, you can stop rendersteps? (I admit, I should have learned about renderstepped) Thats useful…

Yes. Anything that you can Connect(), you can later disconnect if you hang on to the return value.
Event:Connect(func) will return a Connection, and you can Connection:Disconnect() to prevent the event from running again.
Part touch events and such can be disconnected too.

You can also Event:Wait() to wait until the next time the event runs instead of connecting and disconnecting immediately, but this isn’t relevant here.

Update: For some reason its locking replicatedfirst…

The Parent property of Viewmodel is locked, current parent: NULL, new parent Workspace 

A Destroyed instance’s Parent cannot be changed.

Ohhhh yea I forgot about the parenting… I changed it so that way it waits for a model named MODEL because I cloned the model and named it MODEL, then it destroys it when I unequip, but it comes up with this error:

Humanoid is not a valid member of Model "MODEL"

but it still works.