How to create realistic glowing windows

Hey everyone, I am trying to create a realistic glow effect for my buildings’ windows in Roblox.

Example:
windows

It looks like a semi-transparent decal that is placed on the front part of the window and some light placed behind it. I have tried to put a decal on a semi-transparent part with a neon block behind it but It does not give the effect at all. In fact, the decal is almost invisible. Right now it looks like this:

I tried looking online but I could not find any resources explaining how to do this. Is there a special way of doing this?

1 Like

Hi. Have you tried with a bright neon material block set to ~0.5 transparency? A white part behind the window can make it look better if there is no interior.
If you use a decal, you can adjust both the decal and its parent part’s transparency to the desired value.

1 Like

Yes I played with all the transparency values for all the blocks. When I set the neon block to 0.5 transparency it doesn’t do anything and when I play with the decal transparency it only either turns all black or turns into the above examples.

I haven’t ever done anything with that kind but from the top of my head couldn’t you use a spotlight lighting part on it to create the effect?

1 Like

It looks similar to the frosted window decal
https://www.roblox.com/library/24295219/Frosted-Window

Looks like they used a cleaner version and then made a repeating texture out of it that wraps around the window

Yeah I have the decal working fine, It is just a fade effect with the outer edges darkened but I don’t know how to get that “inside glow” effect if you know what I mean.

Use this one because it will help solve your problem.
https://www.roblox.com/library/2731608770/Frosted-Window
It not very nice, but you can use it for reference. This is my personal opinion if there is anything wrong please ignore.

1 Like

It seems to work pretty well! I used everyone’s’ ideas and mixed it together. I used the frosted window decal on a plastic white part with a spot light facing out of it and with a glass part in front of it. It looks actually pretty nice.

6 Likes

Hello!
Try adding “glow” to “Lighting” in toolbox!

1 Like