How To Create Realistic Walking?

I’m wondering how to achieve a walking animation that changes when you walk in a direction with shift lock. Like sidestepping or walking backwards. Here’s an example:

I know there is a post just about this but I want to achieve this effect with Humanoid.MoveDirection . I don’t plan on using inverse kinematics since it’s not needed for my project.
I want to know how to see directions like left, right, diagonal upright and etc. Please do not explain how Humanoid.MoveDirection works, I know how to use it just having trouble with it.

I’ve heard of this having been done by fetching the humanoid root parts’ velocity via vectorToObjectSpace and getting the relative velocity on X/Y (checking first if MoveDirection.Magnitude is over some threshold to make the character stop animating at standstill). From the X/Y values you’d be able to tell where the player is moving and animate accordingly. Not sure of the exact directions but you’d know if it’s a four-way direction should X~=0 and Y=0 (or vice versa) or 8-way direction if both X and Y have value.

1 Like

Yep, this is true, however unfortunately @SetOnRoblox has made a repost of the same topic.

But yeah this is the concept mark @MP3Face as the answer.

2 Likes