How to Create Roads

Alright so, I wanted to make a form on how to make roads in ROBLOX, this is my first ever post, so if I put this in the wrong category, I’m extremely sorry.

So, I’ve gotten a lot of my friends asking me if I could do a post on how to make roads, so I decided sure why not, if anything gets confusing, please put a comment below, and I’ll help you out to the best of my abilities.

Stravant - ResizeAlign - Roblox ( Allows you to fix parts that you’d have to union without the ResizeAlign plugin. )
Stravant - GapFill & Extrude - Roblox ( I don’t use GapFill that much when making roads, but it still works! )
Archimedes (v3.1.7) - Roblox ( Easy ways to make turns without the rotate tool )

════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

I’ve used these plugins for a really long time so I’m used to them, you might have a bit more troubble with them, but for the road textures, this is what I do.

Road Color & Size :

Road Color : 99, 95, 98
Road Size : Change Value , 0.3 , 16

Breakdown Lane Texture Color, Size, & SPTV + SPTU :

Texture : WHITE - Roblox ,
Texture Color :[255,255,255]
Brick Size : X* , 0.1 , 0.6
SizePerTileV + SizePerTileU : 2

Yellow Lane Texture, Color, Size, & SPTV + SPTU :

Texture : Bright yellow - Roblox ,
Texture Color :[255,255,255]
Brick Size : X* , 0.1 , 0.6
SizePerTileV + SizePerTileU : 2

Sidewalk Color & Size :

Color : [163, 162, 165]
Size : 68.666, 0.3, 4

Index
X* = You’re allowed to change this value to any number that you’d like.

Update.
It’s been around two days now, with progressive update on how I make my roads, this is both a learning curve for you and me! I’ve tried new things out with negating parts, and unions! I’m not very good at explaining, but I’ll try my best to show you what you need to do after you get your parts.

So, now that we have our parts, what we need to do is place said parts down, you’re going to want to make sure that it’s 0.3 studs.

Then, you’re going to want to make the part around 91 studs ( this will hold the 3 stud right and left for the breakdown lane, with a 16 stud wide road, for each side. )

(Rough outline)

Now, what you’re going to want to do is to make your road as long as you want, this is your choice, and you can do what you’d like to do.

Then you can take your breakdown lane markers, and yellow markers, and place them on the road…

And after sometime, you should get a result like this, to make the turns, you’re going to want to make it around 10-20 studs, and then use the Archimedes tools, and then change it to 1 - 5

You’ll get something that I call “ugly lines” inside of the road, and just makes it look really bad, so what you can do is just use the ResizeAlign tool, and just click one of the front faces, and a the other front face to get a nice line. You might also have to union some of the parts due to the fact that there is some Z-Fighting happening.

And in the end you’ll get something like this ^^^

I’m sorry that I couldn’t show you how to make an intersection, ie.

I’ll be showing y’all how to do that later, but for now, I need to get back to development, I really hope you have a better time understanding what I’ve just typed all in this mubo jumbo! Hope y’all have a great day!

I tried to make this as simple as possible, I hope this can help you out through your journey! I have to thank colorful_parrots for helping me out through all of what I had to make, if you need any more help, just contact me and I’ll try my best to help you out! But until then, I hope you have a great day, and I hope you learned something through this.This text will be hidden

28 Likes

Neither of the texture links work for me, it just sends to “Page cannot be found or no longer exists.” Both textures also don’t work in studio.

2 Likes

You can’t access texture queries, they are meant for pasting into a texture property in studio.

I meant to put in the regular textures, and not the texture queries! It’s fixed now, thank you for telling me that!

Maybe you should add some steps on how to place these sized pieces into Studio and how to make curves with them. I don’t really see anything here that’s telling me how to create a road. I see some width and height dimensions for what appears to be a road surface, sidewalk and various lane marker lines. Where is the tutorial?

3 Likes

Hey man! I’ve taken into consideration on some of your ideas, and I really think all of them are good, but I can only do accouple now because I’m beyond tired, I can’t thank you enough for all of the ideas that you’ve given me! I’ll be trying to do a tutorial on the creation of sidewalks, lane markers, and intersection turns. I hope you have a great rest of your day!

1 Like

Hey @Qibarian. I have an issue which used to plague me back when I was active in the development of these sorts of games, and I imagine still effects developers today.

When curving a road both up and to the side at the same time, the road begins to develop a slant. That is, it begins to tilt onto it’s side gradually and when you eventually try to even it off, it isn’t straight. While obviously you could go through and manually adjust each road segment, that isn’t efficient and leaves margin for error since it’s more or less just guessing from what your eyes see.

Is there any sort of setting you can use to correct this, or rotation which you might be able to offset by for each segment which is turned and sloped?

1 Like

Hey First! I’d like to thank you a lot for the question that you have asked, but I don’t think this has ever happened to me, nor have I ever seen this bug? Have you tried to make sure that Archimedes is update? Have you made sure that it’s the correct Archimedes? I’ve heard of the bug before, and I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen it though. I hope to help you more in-depth!

Hey again @Qibarian, sorry for the delayed response. I’m simply not active in the scene anymore.
I’ve attached a photo for you. Everything is up to date.

I’ve had this issue before, but I can’t seem to replicate it at all, I don’t know if my settings might be different…