How to detect if soundid is invalid?

How could i make a script determine if a soundid is invalid, such as if somebody put “ndfsioufnuiondsioun” as the sound id, how would i make a script detect that it isnt a valid sound?

7 Likes
local function ValidateSong(songID) 
	if not songID or not tonumber(songID) then return false end

local success, result = pcall(function()
		return MarketplaceService:GetProductInfo(songID)
	end)

if success and result and result.AssetTypeId == 3 then
		return true
	else
		return false
	end
end

I wrote this function for this purpose a couple months ago and it serves it’s purpose well. Hopefully it’ll help you out let me know if you have questions.Pretty much what it does is it first checks to make sure that it’s indeed a numerical input that you are getting, next it checks to make s ure that it exists in the “market” or the development catalog, than check if it’s specifically a song if so it returns true.

10 Likes

would you really need to check if its letters though? because it would still not be detected in the market thus being the same as if it were just random numbers?

1 Like

I guess so but, it prevents the function to go through the trouble to actually validate this and make a marketplaceservice request, so in theory it’s actually faster to check for that initially since you know it’s impossible to have a assetid that isnt numerical.

1 Like

what if i just use tonumber and if it cant get the tonumber then end the script?

1 Like

can you put that sentence into code so i can understand what your asking and not assuming.

1 Like

like this

function playSong(id)
if tonumber(id) then

id = id or ""

if Sound then

Sound:Destroy()

end

Sound = Instance.new'Sound'

Sound.SoundGroup = game:GetService("SoundService"):FindFirstChild("Radios")		

Sound.Parent = Handle

Sound.Volume = 0.4

Sound.Looped = true

Sound.PlayOnRemove = false

Sound.SoundId = "http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id="..id

wait(0.5)
	if Sound.TimeLength > 0 and Sound.TimeLength <= 2 then
		game.Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(script.Parent.Parent):Kick("Don't play audios less then 2 seconds, this is to prevent crash audios.")
	else
		Sound:Play()
		end
	else
	end
end
1 Like

yes, you could do this but there is still potential for it to not be a valid assetid

but if it was then it would still run the script since audios ids are only numbers

Oh yes, it would still run the script obviously, it’s just there is always a potential for it to be an invalid assetid unless you explicitly check for this.

wait i didnt mean what u said u got a point

its just an example of preventing people from trying to play ids with letters, i will add more code to make it validate the id before playing

Sounds good, if you want you can feel free to use the function I provided with you if you want again it does what you are asking it to do. However I digress… I wish you well

would this work?

tonumber(id) and mp:GetProductInfo(id)

yes, that would work as well, but you need to check for the specific assettype, and it might be a good idea to wrap this into a pcall since there is some possibility of this breaking.

im assuming since if it were a wrong is it would go to the else statement and end the script preventing it from playing the audio

If it were a wrong id and you tried to load it into the soundid it would cause an error.

ok so will this work?

function playSong(id)
	if tonumber(id) then
		local success, result = pcall(function()
			return mp:GetProductInfo(id)
		end)
		if success and result and result.AssetTypeId == 3 then
id = id or ""

if Sound then

Sound:Destroy()

end

Sound = Instance.new'Sound'

Sound.SoundGroup = game:GetService("SoundService"):FindFirstChild("Radios")		

Sound.Parent = Handle

Sound.Volume = 0.4

Sound.Looped = true

Sound.PlayOnRemove = false

Sound.SoundId = "http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id="..id

wait(0.5)
	if Sound.TimeLength > 0 and Sound.TimeLength <= 2 then
		game.Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(script.Parent.Parent):Kick("Don't play audios less then 2 seconds, this is to prevent crash audios.")
	else
		Sound:Play()
			end
		else

end
	end
end

What is thi you made if you don’t mine me asking

Script output in Roblox studio, also dev console, this is a no-brainer.