Recently I’ve been interested in drafting a story for an upcomming game of mine that would be played out throughout the game’s story. However, I don’t know how to start, nor do I know how to make the story interesting.
How do I develop interesting characters and conflicts? How do I create themes and lessons through game design? How does my story affect gameplay?
All help is appreciated!
Maybe you could try making the dialogue short because i know that long ones are just boring, good luck on your game!
Thats a good take on the UX perspective when presenting it to players. However, I’m moreso looking for how I should develop the story? There wouldnt be any dialouge without the story in the first place!
There are many factors to make a story/character very interesting:
- Build the story throughout the game up, don’t blamely start at the climax.
- Don’t make dialogues unecassarily long, make it short, it is a bit more realistic.
- To make a character interesting, make it so the player will find out the characteristics, not just by saying it with a random text. Also, let the feelings from a character change in conflicts as you mentioned, so the player might have sort of empathy towards the character
This is really helpful!
Out of curiosity, what would make a story “bad”? (or alternatively, what are common mistakes that make a story “boring”)
This is actually a great way to acknowledge how a story shouldn’t turn out
- It’s good that you mentioned that you want to do it; conflicts. WIthout conflicts, the story feels like it doesn’t want an interesting turn/change.
- A predictable plot. If you have a plot, don’t make it too predictable and/or too obvious what causes the plot
- No feelings. You deatach the player from having empathy towards the character
- Repetetive Structure.
- Slow Pace. A slow pace makes the development not meaningful
- Enviroment. Without the right environment, you destroy the feeling of the actual game
You can also play some Story games on Roblox to determine some things:
Do you like the content of certain story game? Why? / Why not?
What was the most interesting part? If there is none, why do you think it wasn’t interesting?
Is the story well developed? Why? / Why not?
Is the environment appealing towards the player? If no, why?
Best thing to do is to make the story questionable in a good sense. It makes the players questioning what happens next, how it happens, why it happens and who does it? Basically: What? Why? Who? How? It keeps the player coming back for lore and makes it interesting. For dialogs keep them small and add more action. Best to make a voice over by hiring voice actor or using your family.
I’ll take all of these into account! The emotions definitely have a role in both tone and mood for players
Voice actors are something I would always consider, however, professional voice actors are expensive! While I enjoy volunteers, I’m a bit of a perfectionist (good and bad ) so I’d prefer to leave it to text as a way of managing my budget.
You just need a good voice, in my opinion. If you don’t have it then its hopeless. Anyways I suppose goodluck?
I feel making a popular story game right now can’t do without cutscenes as they really just show the overall look of the game in a fast paced way and gives the player a general idea of what he’s going to do in a particular area.