How to disable chat but not bubble chat?

hello, I’m making a custom chat module and I want to completely OBLIDERATE Roblox’s default chat system.

Note: I want bubble chat to stay
I tried running:

game:GetService("StarterGui"):SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.Chat, false)

but as you can see, the roblox beta chat still is up. How do I completely delete Roblox’s built in chat but keep the bubble chat function?

2 Likes

Enter the game in studio, and then copy the ClientChatModules folder from Chat. Then exit the game and paste it into chat. Remove everything from the folder but the ChatSettings module.

Inside there, you should see something like

module.BubbleChatEnabled = PlayersService.BubbleChat
module.ClassicChatEnabled = PlayersService.ClassicChat

Go ahead and replace that with

module.BubbleChatEnabled = true
module.ClassicChatEnabled = false

That should get you up and running.

(This only works with the legacy chat system, that I’m aware of. Go to TextChatService and switch the chat version over to LegacyChatService.)

1 Like

Hello I want to do this with a script not manually. This is because I am trying to make a chat module for other devs to use and the scripts needs to do this automatically

what if I just deleted the chat gui

I’m pretty sure that’s under the roblox core gui, which cannot be deleted by somebody in studio.

I see this and when I delete it, it removes the chat.

Hm. I suppose you could destroy ChatChannelParentFrame and put the localscript in StarterGui so it repeats after the user dies.

1 Like

how do I turn the new chat on? Idk how to swtich to beta chat from legacy

1 Like

TextChatService > ChatVersion, set it to LegacyChatService. The new version is a little messy right now so the legacy option is the best for now. (Also the one that works in this scenario)

okay so I cant restart my studio to access it. Can you send a screenshot of its children? (I need to see if it contains ChatChannelParentFrame)

1 Like

blessed be thou kind soul. Shall thou posterity and thouself be fruitful.

1 Like

If you still want to use TextChatService, you can hide the ChatWindow like this:

local TextChatService = game:GetService("TextChatService")
local ChatWindowConfiguration = TextChatService:FindFirstChildOfClass("ChatWindowConfiguration")
ChatWindowConfiguration.Enabled = false
2 Likes

I am trying to create my own chat system that allows users to upload audios and decals. I don’t believe that filtering swear words is the same thing as that since thats the only way I’m interacting with the chat stuff.

Here is the code I use to filter:

combine = game:GetService("TextService"):FilterStringAsync(combine, plr.UserId):GetChatForUserAsync(plr.UserId)

By the way, I tried to execute the chat module in a require game (a sandbox game for devs) and I couldnt disable the chat because the game was constantly changing its name. Is there a way to reference chat and beta chat without using its name or any of its childrens name? for example an IsA() or something

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.