How to edit group description through a external server

I really want to edit my group description through an external program, like a python web server or something. Is this possible? If so then where should I look to get started?

Thanks for any help.
(Edit: If that’s not possible, then is there a way to atleast edit the group shout? I’m new to servers)

1 Like

Looking at the new open cloud documentation it seems like at the moment it is only possible to get the current description and shout but not set them (yet). The only alternative to the shouts I can think of is if your group has a connected Guilded server, you could use the guilded bot API to maybe create a shout that also shows on your group page.

Hope that gets you started! :smiley:

I have never looked into the open cloud documentation that the other guy is talking about, I don’t require anything such at this point in time.

If I require any sort of automation for a website, then I’ll start of the typical way, by monitoring the api requests.
Any changes that you can do with your account can be done through api requests, as that is what is happening in the background. When you for instance change your Roblox about me section, a post request with data would be sent to Roblox and processed by their servers.

I however assume that you already know about application programming interfaces (apis) as you were asking about web servers.

To get started monitoring the network (Google Chrome, who uses Edge pfft). Press ‘F12’ on your keyboard (Windows systems) or press the three dots in the top right and press ‘Inspect elements’. After that you’ll have to locate the ‘Network’ tab, there are more such as ‘Storage’ & ‘Console’. In the networking tab there will be a record and a clear history button.

If we would want to change our about me on Roblox (assuming pin has been unlocked already), then you’d go onto our profile and open the network tab, then you would clear the network history, then start recording. After that, press the save button on the about me, when you see that the networking has died down, press stop recording.
You may now look through the data that was sent/received to find what requests have to be made and what data has to be transfered.

For doing Roblox api requests you are required to have at least two things in the headers, a valid .ROBLOSECURITY cookie and a X-CSRF-TOKEN, which can be acquired by doing an intial request to Roblox with just the cookie, the response header should include the X-CSRF-TOKEN.

If all this sounds complicated, don’t worry, it isn’t hard.

I wrote this from my phone, if I would have been on pc then I would have written a python example for you, however I would assume that you already know how to do web requests.

1 Like