How to find a direction vector3 for raycast from 2 different vector3 values

I’m trying to make a pathfinding script where it will only chase the players if it raycasts from it’s humanoidrootpart and the final position is close to the player’s humanoidrootpart but it doesn’t seem to work because it’s not getting the correct direction vector3, help please!!

Old Description

I’m trying to make a pathfinding script where it will only chase the players if it raycasts from it’s humanoidrootpart and the final position is close to the player’s humanoidrootpart but it doesn’t seem to work… at all. Well it moves but the raycast just becomes nil and it doesn’t do anything, please help

function findNearestTorso(pos)
	local list = game.Workspace:children()
	local torso = nil
	local dist = 10000
	local temp = nil
	local human = nil
	local temp2 = nil
	for x = 1, #list do
		temp2 = list[x]
		if (temp2.className == "Model") and (temp2 ~= script.Parent) then
			temp = temp2:findFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart")
			human = temp2:findFirstChild("Humanoid")
			if (temp ~= nil) and (human ~= nil) and (human.Health > 0) and not temp2:FindFirstChild("ZombieScript") then
				if script.Parent.Configs.ChasesNPCs.Value == false and game.Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(temp2) or script.Parent.Configs.ChasesNPCs.Value == true then
					if (temp.Position - pos).magnitude < dist then
						local vector = script.Parent.HumanoidRootPart.Position - temp.Position
						if vector.magnitude < .001 then
							vector = Vector3.new(0, 0, -1) -- default direction
						else
							vector = vector.unit
						end

local ray = Vector3.new(9999,9999,9999)
						task.spawn(function()
							local raythin = RaycastParams.new()
							raythin.FilterDescendantsInstances = {script.Parent}
							local rayy = workspace:Raycast(pos, vector, raythin).Position
							if rayy then
								ray = rayy
							end
						end)
						if (ray - temp.Position).Magnitude < 2.5 then
							torso = temp
							dist = (temp.Position - pos).magnitude
						end
						print(ray)

end
				end
			end
		end
	end
	return torso
end

Please someone I’ve tried everything(?) and it just doesnt work

6 Likes

I’m a bit confused on why do you have to use 2 rays when you just set “ray” to “raay”?

3 Likes

It’s so if that part of the script doesn’t work it’ll just default to 9999,9999,9999 instead of just breaking

1 Like

I believe you’re trying to get all of the Workspace's children. it should be :GetChilren()

1 Like

I’ll fix it when I can but for now it doesn’t matter much (I think correct me if I’m wrong)

1 Like

Why raycast when you can use the position magnitude to check to see if the NPC is close enough?

There are plenty of previous posts you can Search that explain NPCs chasing players within a certain magnitude way better than I can explain it.

1 Like

It’s because I want it to work on line of sight, so it can see you down a long hallway but won’t see you if a wall is in the way.

If there’s a easier way to do this, please let me know

1 Like

Use the Search button like I suggested. There are posts about NPCs only following players when visible.

2 Likes

This piece of code here is part of the problem. You may think the Direction of the Raycast should be in unit form, but the Direction parameter also decides the range of the Raycast. This means as of right now, it will only check one stud in front of it. I would recommend just cutting out the entire 5 lines above.

2 Likes

thanks for telling me that, but I have a question. How else can you get the direction

1 Like

Try this tutorial on how to make your rays visible (you have to use Ray.new with this tutorial). Maybe it could help you figure out where you ray is really going and why it’s returning nil. Obviously since the tutorial only works with Ray.new, you can just switch it back to workspace:Raycast after the problem is resolved.

1 Like

The beam does work when it hits something I just need someone to tell me how I get a direction vector??

I figured it out, I just had to remove the .unit part and then multiply it by Vector3.new(-1,-1,-1)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.