How To Find Good Developers

Hey there. Ill be providing everyone with some pretty good tips on where to find good developers.

First, make sure your developers are professional and can work well in a team (if you have one).
Make sure their work is their work, and if you think you might have seen it some where check with people.

A few things to look out for:

• Large scripts being finished way before they logically should be.
  • Developers constantly asking for things.
  • When hiring graphic artists, always check for a valid watermark.
  • Same with above, assure 3d modelers own the work they are presenting.

Scripters can be very hard to detect whether they are good or not. A lot of scripters use tutorials, which can be pretty bad because sometimes tutorial code is inefficient and/or not functional, or outdated.

Check in with your developers a lot, if they don’t respond for a while remove them from your game. When your commissioning people, don’t allow them to have team create unless you can absolutely trust them enough. If they insist on importing their work into your game, watch out.

Developers aren’t idiots, and can easily manipulate the person commissioning/hiring them. They could get you to give them permissions where they can insert backdoors, or other malicious things towards your project.

I know so far its been ramble about safety, but its necessary. Now for actually finding them. I’d say very good places are, of course, the DevForum. Another place almost as good as the DevForum is Hidden Developers. You can find any sort of developers you need there. It is a discord community, and I am not aloud to post discord invites so I will link their group at the very bottom of this resource post. Find developers who have good reviews, can fit well into your budget, and of course work good with your team.

If you don’t pay first, you will most likely be labeled as a scammer on the other side of the trade. Just saying. There is way more opportunity for you to scam them, than vice versa. You do not need to pay first if they haven’t clarified they have the specified asset your paying them for, and 100% should not pay until it is clarified.

It’s also a nice idea to make them make something unique that isn’t in google images, so you can reassure yourself with their skill level.

Hope I helped someone!

15 Likes

I would just like to add on to this by saying you should ask the user to create something (unique and diffrent) to make sure the user/developer does know what they are saying and not just getting some images of the dev forums or google.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree with this. Its a good idea to make them make something unique to clarify their skill!

I’ll add that to the post as well. Thanks for the help man!
Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Regarding paying first, you don’t necessarily need to pay the full amount beforehand, for large projects a 15 to 25% down payment is advised.
There’s way too many cases of people taking scripts and models without paying anything, so it’s unlikely that anyone will work for you (especially in a workplace that you control) if you only pay at the very end.

I agree with this as my friends have been scammed and got their whole project dragged to the dirt. A way to avoid this is to make a new game and have them build on a baseplate, then when they finish use (ctrl + shift + F) to find scripts. It’s best to search for fire since that’s a common virus spreader.

3 Likes

Yeah. Builders, scripters, and GFX are the top 3 most popular which means the top 3 most to be careful on.

3 Likes

It shouldn’t just be for builders, It could be for anything.

1 Like