How to get a good cpu in your roblox game? (green level)

How do we keep our games cpu great in the green level, and what number range is good for cpu?

Our game is running at around 325 MB but there are tiny jump spikes, and we are looking for ways to improve that.

Anything that could help is appreciated!

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the question, what do you mean by good Central Processing Unit in your game?

1 Like

I don’t know that you quite understand what CPU means. The CPU numbers represent how much of your computer’s processing power is being devoted to your game, whereas anything measured in “MB” has very little to do with CPU usage.

As a useful tip: Keep your code clean and fast to keep CPU down, and build good worlds. @zeuxcg actually just did a presentation at this weekend’s RDC about making performant games, and it will be (or maybe already is?) posted on YouTube - recommend checking that out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

O sorry, i worded that incorrectly. What i was meaning was this:

https://gyazo.com/08f02674d659cad15267f0e7e64adfac

Our bar next to the memory tab is a darkish orange, and we are looking for ways to bring that up.

1 Like

That’s your physical memory. AKA RAM. To keep that lower, you need to use as few unions and meshes possible, and stick purely with parts. But that’s to keep it at an all time low. And that would be difficult to make a game only out of parts. So, what I recommend you do is use as few of them as possible. And you need to make sure there are no extra triangles in the meshes that are pointlessly there. You may have a part that has 10 triangles that need to be removed. No big deal, right? Wrong. If you were to use that asset multiple times (say 20 extra times), then you’d have 200 random triangles that could easily be removed.

2 Likes

If you’d like a good tutorial on tuning for Performance, you can listen to zeuxcg’s RDC speech here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/284659658

His talk starts around 2:30:00

1 Like

I will point out that while you’re correct that fewer unions and meshes are a possible solution, they are both instanced very well so it wouldn’t necessarily be 200 redundant triangles unless they have active collisions with something else.

I would shy away from the “less meshes (not unions, unions are trash) is the solution” answer because there are way too many variables to count for.

@NikkolBolas if you have meshes, make sure they’re simplified and that the collision geometry is as simple as possible. Random spikes can have a lot of possible causes, I’d first look at any redundant or overly complex code, then look at any redundant or overly complex assets that players collide with.

The way things load in games makes me think that static assets aren’t the issue (anchored parts or meshes that have basic or no collisions). Once they’re loaded they usually don’t change the use of the game unless they’re moved around (in Workspace or in Explorer) or have a collision.

If you’re still having issues, DM me about your use case and I can help from there :slight_smile:

2 Likes