How to get back the old stud texture! (Includes Meshes & Unions!)

[ 1 ] Introduction

Hey everyone, I’m Snow!

Lately, I’ve noticed a rise in games with that classic Roblox style, like average plate gaem, generic roleplay gaem, and many others! While playing these, I started wondering, “How do games achieve this nostalgic look?”.

I found some helpful tools like the Resurface plugin, which is great, but it has limitations—it doesn’t apply textures to meshes or unions, and it lacks some textures people really want. So, I dug deeper!

[ 2 ] How to Achieve the Classic Look

Good news—it’s super easy! You don’t need any advanced knowledge of Roblox Studio, scripting, or even computers!

Step 1: Install the Required Model

First, click here to install this model by selecting the “Get Model” button (or “Install” if you see that instead).

Step 2: Add the Model to Your Workspace

Once you’ve installed it, drag the model into your workspace. If you’re not sure how to do this, look up a basic Roblox Studio tutorial on YouTube. If you’re still stuck, here’s how to find it:

• Open the Toolbox
  • Click on Inventory
  • In the dropdown menu, select My Models

Step 3: Add the Materials to MaterialService

Drag and drop the materials from the model into MaterialService. (Most classic-looking games use the 2020 versions!)

[ 3 ] The Final Result

Now you’re all set! Just apply the material to any part, mesh, union, or whatever you’re working with—and say goodbye to those annoying Z-fighting issues!

NOTE: I DID NOT CREATE THIS RECOURSE! THE CREATOR IS STARCODE_RHYS!

7 Likes

Resurface actually supports those 2022 variants in the latest update, along with a whole host of new features!

However, this is still a really great resource for those that don’t necessarily want an entire plugin to do this, or would like access to the other variants.

1 Like