Resurface - Convert surfaces to studs and more

Yeah I think a useful setting for this would to let users be able to use multiple selected parts to change to the surface material on them at the same time, some even all sides.

1 Like

:+1: Added to the to-do list! Thanks for the feedback.

I’m planning an update to this at some point to include a better UI (most likely an on-screen toolbar while active), so will look into ways of incorporating these new features without bloating the plugin with too many options.

3 Likes

Hello, this plugin is super helpful so I don’t have to use the toolbox to find bricks with surface items on them. I ran into an issue, it doesn’t seem to work on a union. I’m not sure if it’s a bug or it just hasn’t been an added feature but if it could work on unions, that would be a life saver.

2 Likes

sorry for the late response. sadly, I don’t think it’s possible to add surfaces to a union, due to how they work. when get around to giving surface tool a makeover, I’ll look into possible options for unions

1 Like

Very helpful, Thank you for making this!

1 Like

This plugin came in handy after they deleted these surfaces; I’ve been using it ever since; I truly enjoy creating things in the older style of Roblox, and this plugin is helping to keep me sane while doing so.

tl;dr
You’re awesome, and I love your product. Continue to provide fantastic updates and work diligently!

suggestion
It would also be fantastic if this could be transformed into a texture tool at a later date, once support for these surfaces has been officially removed.

2 Likes

thanks so much! that’s so nice to hear, and I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

already in the plugin. if surfaces get removed, it’ll automatically fall back to textures :relaxed:

1 Like

Sort of a big request, but it’d be nice to have a second identical widget which allows you to add, remove, and rename custom textures (and maybe being able to save properties like transparency, color, or width and height). The workflow with this tool is already astounding, and I’d love to see some extra functionality with one of my favorite plugins

2 Likes

Version 0.1.0

Get on Roblox|0x36

This is a minor update to Resurface (formerly Surface Tool) which addresses a few issues and implements a couple of changes.

Fixed

• Fixed an issue where deactivating the plugin would not revert to the Studio selection tool.
  • Pressing ESC now deactivates the plugin.

Changed

In preparation for the next major update to Resurface, a few things are happening:

• The plugin button and action now properly refer to Surface Tool as “Resurface”. In the next update the “(Surface Tool)” suffix will be removed.
  • Updated plugin icon Toolbar Icon@3x which is a blue variant of the final product icon for the next major edition of Resurface. This icon also multi-res and supports higher resolution displays, meaning it won’t appear pixelated anymore.

More Plugins
Codify | Matswap | Surface Tool

5 Likes

Every time I playtest with the plugin enabled with the new update I get this error in the output.

apologies for the issue. this should be fixed in the latest patch available now via the plugin manager

3 Likes

ah thank you for finally fixing that!

1 Like

The new Resurface is here! :tada:

Resurface has finally been updated with a brand new UI, an array of new features and toggles, and the ability to apply surfaces to meshes and unions via MaterialVariants.

I’ve been working hard on this update for a very long time, and I am both glad and relieved to say it is now generally available! You can upgrade now via the Plugin Manager.

Resurface is also now open source! You can find links to the GitHub repo above.

If you’re upgrading from Surface Tool, you’ll automatically be placed into a “transition mode.” This means, upon first launch, you’ll be greeted with the same classic surface selection menu and the plugin should behave the same as it did before, with regards to its settings.

If you wish to reset Resurface to it’s new factory defaults, just pop open the settings menu, scroll to the bottom, and hit “Reset All Settings.” Conversely, if you wish to preserve the classic behaviour, there are toggles in the settings menu to allow you to do just this!

Thank you to everyone who has supported Surface Tool/Resurface over the years, and I hope you love the new update! :sparkling_heart:

More Plugins
Codify | Matswap | Resurface

8 Likes

Hello! I just rediscovered your plugin after a few years just when this update came out, and I gotta say, it looks amazing! I have two minor bug reports and a suggestion, though.
Simply put, one minor bug is that trying to select the right faces of a wedge (recommended to scale it up) can be a little confusing, the second being that retexturing a single face of a part can be weird at times (which is seen in your demo video), and the suggestion being to add an option to override MaterialVariants if you want to change a single face, because I spent a while trying to figure out why I couldn’t retexture a specific face of a part and almost made a bug report on something completely unecessary.

That’s all though, love what you’ve done.

1 Like

I’m gonna be honest, I completely forgot wedges even existed when I rebuilt Resurface. I’ll look into that when I get the chance and see if I can make the gizmos more accurate for wedge faces.

I think this might actually be a Roblox bug (possibly a Studio beta). I will verify this and see if I can find a workaround if that is the case. If not, I’ll be sure to get to the root of that problem.

As in, you’d like the part to revert back to plastic with no MaterialVariant if you try to apply a surface to a single face?

:sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Yes! Exactly. Maybe leaving it as default or a setting would be nice to prevent further confusion.

Ah that should actually be the default behaviour. You’d be right to report that as a bug. I’ll also get that sorted in the next update.

2 Likes

It looks like this is the default behaviour, and is working as intended. If you’ve updated from legacy Resurface/Surface Tool, you might have the “Set to Plastic” option disabled. If this is disabled, it will not revert back to plastic when applying a single surface to non-plastic parts.

1 Like

Version 0.1.1

Get on Roblox Get on Itch.io

• Hovering over a WedgePart, CornerWedgePart or rotated part’s face will now highlight the correct face
  • Improved selection gizmos for Wedges, CornerWedgeParts, Cylinders, Balls and parts that use the Wedge and CornerWedge shapes (thanks @MrChickenRocket)
  • Fixed a bug where the surface picker widget would allow the selected surface to be nil if no matches were found when searching
  • Disabled MaterialVariant contextual action for Motor, SteppingMotor and Hinge, as there is no MaterialVariant texture for these
  • “Transition mode” from legacy Resurface/Surface Tool will no longer override default settings. It’ll just show the legacy dropdown before switching to the new UI
1 Like

Oh this is brilliant mate! And thanks for the credit.
You should totally add a tool to make cursed studded terrain. :eyes:

2 Likes