How to get better at Building

Hello Developers, this post will hopefully help you improve at building in ROBLOX studio.

Now, I personally use the ROBLOX studio and the F3X plugin to create most of my projects. I use them for different reasons. For example, I would use F3X to color since the plugin provides an advanced color pallet. I use the ROBLOX studio building tools to make parts go really small.

The second tip would be is to use SmoothPlastic and then your color choice. As I personally think, SmoothPlastic provides more detail in a build. Not only that but reflection also really gives a build more detail.

Now the last tip would not be a building tip but would help improve your buildings. This would be the lighting. When I am working on a project, I’ve noticed that lighting helps your building stand out. When adding improved lighting, I add in a Bloom, Blur, ColorCorrection, SunRays and then I add a Sky.

Hope this helped,
Zertives.

10 Likes

You know that you have this nifty thing that allows you to use any color on the 0-255 scales for every value. You don’t need a potential backdoor to do it for you. Just press the square in the color property.

I also kind of disagree with the lighting thing you’re doing here. Not that lighting is big bad and we can’t use it, you’re doing it a less logical order and might make things hard for you instead.

What I generally do is:

1. Build without messing with the lighting
  2. Adjust lighting
  3. Check out the build and correct anything that might be bad

And if you’re working on a bigger project and don’t want to be waiting to correct everything once you’re done is to simply do this:

Now this may be a little OT but what I think you should do is try to collect all your knowledge and try to put them together for a post that you could post in #resources:community-tutorials perhaps? It would be a lot useful there since this category gets really cluttered.

10 Likes

Thanks, I think you’ve helped me in away and others who may read this post! I will try doing what you’ve been doing!

1 Like

With the parts to get really small, what do you mean with that? Like do you build them first really big and scale them down or are you already building verry small? otherwise if you are already building verry small then I should suggest to just turn of the move with studs then you can go in detail.

And with the lighting, I should also suggest to use shadowmap, that makes the shadows more realistic.

I have 2 different settings with Studio and F3X.

2 Likes