How to get notified on your phone of your Game's Player Count every 30 minutes

Hello Robloxians! Today I will show you how you can receive a popup notification on your phone, every 30 minutes, which tells you your Roblox game’s Player Count! Let’s begin:

Refer to this Devforum post which explains how to use the Roblox API.

From there, we can browse to this Github Repo which lists the endpoints, and I have tried them all for you, dear reader! The one which contains the information we need, is the one for “Get a user’s profile games”.

Open that api URL and substitute your own Roblox UserID. For example, my Roblox Profile’s page is here and that contains my UserID of 2031724732. To see my list of games, I would enter my Roblox UserID into that api URL so it would be https://www.roblox.com/users/profile/playergames-json?userId=2031724732
Let’s call this your “target URL” which we need to use later

Try visiting that URL and you’ll see a wall of text! But that contains exactly the information we need. What we need next, is a way to extract the Player Count from this wall of text, and that’s the work I did, dear reader, and you can see it here on Regex101
Please note, this Regex contains the PlaceID for my game, Slither Simulator - you will need to update the Regex to search for your PlaceID instead.

We’re going to use a free account on Make.com to wire up some automation. Once you have created your account there, follow these steps to install the App on your Android or iOS device and link it to your Make account.

Inside your Make account, create a new Scenario.

Inside the Scenario, add a new Module. The 1st module’s job, is to go out to the web and request the raw information. For this module, select the HttpRequest and configure it with the “target URL” we developed earlier. The rest of the settings can be left at default. Mine looks like this:

Click the little bump on the right of the 1st module to connect the 2nd module, which we will use the TextParser this time. This module’s job is just to get the Player Count from the wall of text. For the Pattern input, paste in the Regex which you customized with your own PlaceID. Mine is configured like this:

Last step is to pop a Notification on your phone. Click the bump on the right side of the TextParser to add another Module. Search for the Android (or iOS) module and configure it like so:

For the Body, select “Value” from the Text parser. This extracts just the game’s Player Count, as the content of the notification.
I configured the click action to open my game’s URL on Roblox. I experimented with the “Collapse push notifications” setting but my preference is “No” there so I can see multiple.

In the bottom left of your Scenario, turn on scheduling and select a 30 minute interval. Press the Play button to try it out.

9 Likes

I guess it’s nice getting notified about your player count, but It’s not much use because you get pinged 48 times a day which is a lot about something you just don’t need to keep seeing. It’s just more convenient to get on Roblox and check the player count. What we can all take away from this, is that we can use this whole notification system for something that might be better useful being notified about.

8 Likes

Let’s say you usually do your Trolling from 3pm to 5pm each day. You can actually configure the notifications advanced setting so as not to interrupt you at those times. Or, try changing it to only notify you every 4 years on Leap year.

1 Like

UPDATE: the free tier of Make account only permits 1,000 requests per month, so I have adjusted my polling frequency to once per hour instead of once per 30 minutes.

depending on the OS/Device you could probably just do this locally, stuff being unnecessarily online is a big minus for me but okay cool.

You don’t have to enter any auth into the httpRequest config, this just uses a public Url. There is no security risk in this automation.

point being, make.com requests me to create an account and you claim they have a 1k request limit or so, so you turned down numbers, forcing me to go through a middle man when you could probably just code a script or something like that to automate it without any middle man, directly to roblox’s api.

I just don’t like unnecessarily communicating to services or people, not even just a privacy, security or rate limit thing although it’s a little of all three.

whatever though, thanks for the guide.

2 Likes

any chance i can make it so that when ever somebody buys my gamepass, i get a notification?