How to give a character an Outline effect?

I know that there may be a highlight feature coming out later, however what are people using to achieve effect around the character (the outlines) like this?

I have tried selection box, but it doesn’t look as neon/smooth as the one in the picture

3 Likes

If you have blender just follow this tutorial :wink:

1 Like

I don’t have blender, what about in roblox?

it’s easy to get blender as it is an open source program you can download for free here. I don’t believe there really is any solution you can apply that works purely using Roblox features, they don’t really offer any means to achieve the outline effect you see there natively.

Sorry I’m late to the party.

Anyways, I’ve achieved this effect before by using a mesh with inverted normals and settings it’s material to neon.

2 Likes

Im a little late, but If you still haven’t fund a solution theres a thing called “Highlight” you can put It In models and It gives it that outline effect.

4 Likes

Sorry about the bump, but you can use the new Highlight feature in Studio. You can generate the highlight in a script like this:

local highlight = Instance.new("Highlight", character) -- Set the character variable to the character model of the targeted player
highlight.Adornee = character
13 Likes

Pretty much, Highlights its Parent and its very efficient with Groups and Unions, there is no scripting required for it unless you want to turn it on and off during gameplay

3 Likes

Yes you are my friend, you had the whole party waiting for you.

2 Likes

sadly highlights dont have antialaising

1 Like

its very simple, hopefully this would help even though it was 6 months ago

local char = script.Parent
local plr = game.Players.LocalPlayer

local HL = Instance.new("Highlight")

HL.Parent = char -- parent the highlight to the player character 
HL.FillTransparency = 1 -- fill transparency you can tweak but if you ONLY want the outline you can just make it 1
HL.DepthMode = Enum.HighlightDepthMode.Occluded -- you can make it AlwaysOnTop but occluded in my opinion is wayy better

HL.OutlineColor = Color3.fromRGB(255,255,255) -- change the color of the outline, i made it white

the only con of this highlight is that you cant change the outline size, but its alright i guess.