How to import high quality character faces on roblox characters! (Works with R15 and R6)

Hey Developers! Ever wondered how to import high quality character faces onto R6 and R15? Probably not, but i’m here to show you!

(You can just rename the characters head, but that removes the players username above their head, and may break scripts.)

Requirements:
-Face (Recommended to be 750x750px+, I’m doing 1024x1024px)
-Roblox Studio (Obviously)
-Moon Animator (A plugin, Optional)

Step 1:
Import your face, this is done with decals, either on the roblox website or in the game explorer.

Go to https://www.roblox.com/develop then find the decal section and fill the ‘Create a Decal’ out and copy the id. (You can upload it to your game place if you want)
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 09.46.53

Game Explorer:
Open Studio, go to view then find ‘Game Explorer’ next to the properties (it’s at the top) click it, a new window should appear. There should be an ‘Import’ button, click it and import for file(s)

Step 2:
Sadly, for this to work it requires a custom character, or you could make a weld script to do this.
Go to Plugins > Build Rig then choose the rig type you want (R6/R15) i’ll be using R6 and a face I made. (If you are using R6 it will have a block head, to fix this, import a R15 rig and take the mesh from its head and put it in your rig)

Step 3:
You might just think, “Oh yeah? Well I’m just gonna put a decal on my character’s face.” if you do, here’s what happens (R6, R15 is higher quality, but for very high quality).
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 09.55.28
To fix this, you have to duplicate (CTRL-D or CMD-D) the head and set its transparency to 1 and move the decal to that face (name it something other than head, mine is called ‘face’)
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 09.58.47
Hey! Look at that! Much better, if you were to run it now the head would fall off, we don’t want that, this is where Moon Animator comes in (No we’re not animating)

Step 4 (Type A, Normal Welds)
Select the original head and the new duplicated head (you can select multiple by holding Control / Command whilst clicking two or more objects)
Then find the Model tab (at the top again) then find the Create, It should look similar to this:
You should then open the dropdown menu by pressing the small arrow below create and search for the Weld option, a weld constraint should appear inside of the first object you selected.

Step 4 (Type B, Moon Animator):
If you don’t have your explorer open, open it (View > Explorer), once it’s open go to Plugins and look for the Moon Animator section and open Easy Weld
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 10.01.54
Once you click on Easy Weld you should see a menu pop up that looks like this:
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 10.05.22
At the top there is Cleaner, Parts and Model, click on Parts
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 10.06.06
Once this is on your screen, if Animatable is checked, un-check it.

Now, in the Explorer, find your character and then find the Head part and click on it (in the explorer), once you’ve done this, you hold CTRL or CMD on on mac and find your face part with the decal(s) and click it (Whilst holding the CTRL or CMD) and press the Join in Place button, this should create a weld inside of your head that has no decals, now it’s welded you can do what you please with the character!

I recommend to change the face part to CanColide, CanTouch off and Massless on (Properties)

-Arvid

37 Likes

You don’t gain anything by uploading at 5000 x 5000 because Roblox will down scale it to 1024 x 1024.

4 Likes

This doesn’t have much of an effect on the face, my file size was 5000x5000px and still looks good in 1024x1024px, I have updated the post to say that I used 1024x1024px, thanks for telling me.

2 Likes

The reason(kinda speculating here) for this is because the entire character and its accessories are packed into one texture. For a good reference on this try downloading a character as an OBJ and looking at its textures.

So when you create a head on its own, it’s not going to be shrunk down into the character’s texture. Thus resulting in a clearer image.

Edit: Just clearing something up real quick.

I’m fairly certain you can weld without needing moon editor just using Studio’s tools.

2 Likes

I use moon animator because it has the Weld in Place feature and also because it can be hard to use the Create Weld tool (I have no Idea how to use it :frowning:)

I later found out that you can just rename the head, but this way I found prior can allow the head object to still exists, not messing any scripts up.

You should also consider disabling the collision for the extra part added and turning on massless property so it dosent have weird collision bugs and extra weight added to the character.

Thanks, I added that to the post, sorry for the late reply :[

1 Like

Or… simply change the “Transparency” of the Head to a number > 0.

Example: Head.Transparency = 0.001

OP’s method is not terrible either, there are multiple ways to achieve the non-pixelated R6 face.

1 Like

This will create weird rendering with transparent parts and particles.

1 Like