How to Improve at Scripting

Hello, I have been scripting for somewhere between 1 and 2 years now. Despite this time spent, I don’t feel like I have improved as much as I would like. When I first started, progress was quick. I started by using the tutorials on the wiki. After this, I began watching YouTube videos by thedevking, alvinblox, etc. But, about 6 months ago, I started to feel like I was not making as much progress (After this I stopped scripting as much because it felt kind of boring). If anyone has any advice on where to learn whether that be, a website, the Roblox wiki, a more advanced YouTube channel, whatever! I would appreciate any advice as well. Thanks!

2 Likes

From years of experience in not just Lua I can tell you it just takes time and to continue building projects. Maybe sometimes if someone offers up code in the Resources section read the code and understand what it does.

Maybe you can learn new methods you’ve never learned. But the “best” way (there really isn’t any) is to just build something. Think of a project, stick with it, debug it, have headaches with it, and you will have the most learning from that. You have this forum and more resources online to help you so that’s my advice. Hope more can contribute to this because there really is no one answer.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m always scared to start a project because I always feel like “This code could be .2% optimized if I was smarter!”

Get used to the fact that bugs will never really go away otherwise you’ll get stuck in the void of perfection haha. Try starting from framework, then building your way up to animations and such. AND THEN you can worry about optimization and debugging and it’s really a loop of planning, scripting, debugging, repeat. But it does take time. Don’t be afraid to struggle and yes there will be times where optimization will cause for scrapping and restarting but you’ll learn how to optimize better in the first place so you don’t have to go through things like that. You learn more from failures than wins.

1 Like

The possibly only ways to improve by scripting is continuing at it, practicing, and staying motivated

Probably the 1 thing that most scripters struggle with is staying motivated & continuing to learn more, which can end up in a variety of ways depending on how you look at it

I’ve been scripting for like 3-4 years and I’m still learning how coroutines/Attributes work :sweat_smile: So don’t feel like you haven’t made any progress, cause in reality you slowly are

• You’ve learned more today than what you’ve learned from yesterday, let’s say that

There’s a bunch of resources on this forum, such as #resources:community-resources & #resources:community-tutorials so I highly recommend checking those out whenever you can to expand your knowledge

Of course, there’s also the API Reference to look at as well in case you get confused by certain things:
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference

There’s a wide variety of things to learn when searching what you wanna start with, and obviously scripting will take time so don’t try & rush yourself

• You’ll make mistakes, but learn from those mistakes! No one’s perfect, so don’t think that you’re not trying your best

Just make sure to learn at your own pace; no one’s rushing you to do so :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I always felt like I was behind everyone else as I feel like I should be way better for the time I have spent. But, your reply makes me feel much better about myself! No offense!

1 Like

Again, everyone’s not perfect, even the most talented developers & scripters make mistakes

You’re still learning, so do take the time to learn as much as you can! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Most people might disagree with me, but I watched alot of AlvinBlox on Youtube to learn the basics. When I started to create my own scenarios, I joined the Roblox disc and talked to experienced scripters on the development help channel.

1 Like

Unrelated but also related at the same time I personally believe that scripting should be taken in a style that everyone should be able to understand the concept easily, cause at some point we’ll start looking up stuff which will start to become confusing for us

If it helps, here’s my attempt with trying to learn Tables from a different perspective (Or my weird perspective) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I 100% agree with you on this. Sometimes I find written text to be kind of hard to understand. What’s funny is I was actually reading your topic when you were replying. And I have to say your tutorial is MARVOLOUS!

1 Like