How to improve on my background for Roblox gfx?

How do I improve on my background for Roblox gfx?

When I make gfx the hardest parts are backgrounds and effects, I use the toolbox and find models to use but sometimes they don’t have what I need, Where do you guys find your backgrounds and can you help me?

I have tried using HDRI as the background sometimes but that doesn’t really work. I don’t really like to mix realistic backgrounds in my gfx unless it’s like something made on Roblox and fits the theme.

1 Like

Back in the day when I made GFX, I did most of my work using Photoshop. You should look into photoshop manipulations and use stock images instead. It also depends on what kind of theme you’re going for. Like the work I did, didn’t really showed a Roblox aesthetic unless I built the map for the background.

Here are some examples of my photoshop manipulations:

As you can tell, these use no Roblox assets except for the character render. You also want to spend a lot of time lighting the thumbnail to get a more realistic style design.

Here’s an example of a more Roblox style GFX:

For these types of GFX, I either build the background or use the map that was provided by the client. It’s fairly easy to learn how to build on Roblox and for GFX you don’t need to have to a professional. You can also build your background with the character you are rendering. You just need to focus on the texturing of those 3D assets that you have made.

Lastly, you can learn different effects on photoshop from watching videos on youtube. Most of these effects were made from me just messing around with different tools and styles Photoshop has provided. These are my favorite and the most fun because all I do is just splash different effects/brushes while adding different colors/shading to the character.

Here’s an example of the effects I have used on photoshop:

I’m not sure if you’re a beginner or a professional artist, but you just gotta stay dedicated and keep practicing! When I was new to GFX, I used my friend’s characters/avatar (for free) to practice different effects and different styles of art. The practice is the key to success and if you really want to pursue GFX, you should do it.

Here’s my deviant art if you want to look at my other thumbnails
https://www.deviantart.com/xenotoxingfx/gallery

You can also send me a message if you have any questions. I’m more than happy to help you out!

~ xenotoxin

4 Likes