How to keep your Models detailed, but not too detailed?

Although there have been many topics regarding this, which I have read, I still do not understand the one following question, how many tris should be the maximum?
I like to keep my models detailed, but without using the textures, it’s just so hard! Many of the Roblox Arsenal guns I saw do not use textures, at least from what I’ve seen, so I really wonder how they manage to do it.

The gun shown below is an example of a Glock-17, a pure example of how I like to make my models.

The gun shown above has all-in-all these statistics, which I do not really like that much, and am not satisfied with.

So I wish to see some feedback, new tips, and tricks from the more experienced Modelers out there.

3 Likes

It really depends whether you want the extra bumps in the mesh or if you want to flat it with a texture. If the texture applied to a semi-detailed mesh properly, it would hide its imperfections to the point of detailed.

Texturing this certainly needs some experience with UV mapping, as far as I know.

A second trick is to employ multiple meshes per firearm, which shouldn’t be a worry. It keeps all its “bumpy” looks and still detailed despite how many meshes it took.

1 Like

I understand, but I’m not really going for “realistic”, but rather detailed, and I don’t really see how textures would make it seem like not one, but the other, like what you can see done with Roblox Arsenal guns.

In experience while I was playing that game, before all the meshes loaded, each gun consisted of more than one mesh to create this detail. It was noticed by missing meshes briefly before it all materialized. This also explains why some parts can move in the gun in animation.

I saw that too, and it is what I’ve been doing so far, exporting the model as multiple meshes, which I would then import in Studio, color, most likely make them like Smooth Plastic, or apply some other material, and weld them all together, but is that really the way to go? Since it doesn’t fix the Tris problem which might at some point cause lag on not so good devices, which are very likely to be used by the younger audience which dominates the Roblox Community.

Apparently you can remove redundant geometry using Decimate modifier set to Planar:

1 Like

Seems to get rid of trouble, and although it wasn’t really what was asked about, it’s most definitely a solution to a big problem.

1 Like