How to Make a Crafting System Like Minecraft

Disclaimer

The code used isn’t the most efficient nor is the code protected against exploits. You will have to fix those on your own.

Ever wondered how the Minecraft crafting system works? How do they know which recipe corresponds to which object? How can you have different recipes for each object? These are all the questions I will answer in this tutorial.

Some helpful things

NOTE: This section would be very brief as this isn’t what the tutorial is about. You can skip all UI creation parts.

Creating the Crafting Table UI

Let’s start with creating the UI for the crafting table.

#1. Start with a rectangular frame

Create a rectangular Frame with the borders removed:

#2. Create a text label

Create a TextLabel on the top of the Frame and set the text to, “Crafting”:

#3. Create 9 frames:

On the left side of the box, create 9 square image buttons and name them from 1 - 9:

#4. Create 1 box on the right

Create an ImageButton on the right of the frame and name it “Result”:

#5 Create an arrow connecting the grid to the box

You might have noticed in Minecraft that every item in the game has its own “tag”, such as block.minecraft.dandelion or block.minecraft.allium. “block”, “minecraft”, “dandelion”, and “allium” are all different categories that can be used to determine what is what. dandelions and alliums can be considered as blocks, but they cannot be considered as the same flower. This is the logic we’re going to use for this tutorial.

Phase 1: Creating Individual Items and Data

Other items

Cobblestone:

return {
	Tags = {
		"Stone",
		"Cobblestone"
	},
	Image = "rbxassetid://57539377"
}

Sticks:

return {
	Tags = {
		"Sticks"
	},
	Image = "rbxassetid://7248264418"
}

Furnace:

return {
	Tags = {
		"Furnace"
	},
	Image = "rbxassetid://133252646"
}

Wooden Axe:

return {
	Tags = {
		"Axe",
		"Wooden Axe"
	},
	Image = "rbxassetid://137512749"
}

Phase 2: Creating Individual Recipes

Phase 3: Crafting Table Initialization

For the sake of simplicity, clicking on each of the boxes of the crafting table would bring up all of our items. What we’re going to do now is hook each of the 9 boxes with a MouseButton1Click event and bring up a list of all the different items.

We’re going to create the UI first, so here’s a summary of how to make it:

Adding a Creative Inventory UI

#1. Create a ScrollingFrame

Create a scrolling frame to the left of the main crafting table UI:

#2. Insert UIConstraints

Insert a UIGridLayout with a padding of 0, 10, 0, 10 and a UIPadding with a padding of 10 on all offset values. Parent these to the frame we just created:

#3. Create an ImageButton

Create an ImageButton. Name it “Template”. This will be our template to show what we have in our “Inventory” (it’s like a creative inventory from Minecraft):

Now we’re going to create a LocalScript. Name it “Crafting” and parent this LocalScript to the ScreenGui:

Parent our “Template” ImageButton to the LocalScript we just created.

Look! Now we can place items in the crafting area!:

Keep in mind that this is only visual, no logic is happening.

Phase 4: Constructing the Interpreter

The interpreter will be a local script that runs through the modules and figures out what different things can craft into.

And would you look at that! Everything works like a charm!:

Completed place file: Crafting.rbxl (37.2 KB)

Test place: Crafting - Roblox

Questions You May Ask

How do I create more crafting recipes?
You can create more recipes by following the format at: Phase 1: Creating Individual Items and Data

How do I create more items?
You can create more items by following the format at: Phase 1: Creating Individual Items and Data

Is this exploit proof?
No, it’s not exploit proof. You would have to integrate that yourself.

If you spot any errors or have any other questions, don’t be afraid to ask! Thank you for reading!

35 Likes

hey nice tutorial! ive always wanted to make my own crafting system but i was clueless but now i learned basics about crafting ill do my own

1 Like

Pretty nice system, I’ll have to see how I can modify this to work with a Private Cafe System I’m wanting to work on, Hopefully It’ll work out as planned.

1 Like

Hm, pretty interesting! I think you can secure it more by making sure that they have the required materials beforehand, and also making events that give you the item whenever you press the output button so it can check.

this is really cool, thank you!