How to make a good portfolio

Hello there, today you will learn how to make a good portfolio.

Hi there, I am @msami7893 and I am a GFX Artist on the Roblox Platform. Today I will be teaching you how to create a portfolio to display your work.

Let’s start with the basics.

Currently Roblox has a template for portfolio creation which you can see below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Roblox's Portfolio Template

About Me

Hi there! I am offering my services as a builder. I specialize in asset creation and level design. I have been building for 2 years on Roblox and have previously worked on titles such as Big Game and Little Game.

Showcase

You can view my assets here: https://www.roblox.com/games/RobloxGame

Here are some screenshots of my work

Availability

I am available for six to eight hours of work on the weekends. You can contact me any time, but I am unable to work during the week due to school.

Payment

Prices are negotiable, I accept either hourly pay or per asset. My preferred payment method is [X].

Contact

You can contact me here on the Developer Forum or via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/username

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

This template is fine, but if you want to look more professional, then follow this tutorial!

How about we begin?

1. (optional) Open up a notepad program on your device. Write down things about your company you want to be included in the portfolio.

2. Now, let’s create banners. I’ve created a template for you as a Photoshop .PSD format.

Download it here: Resource1 Banner.psd (124.0 KB)

You can open this in Photoshop, Affinity Designer, and any other program that accepts .PSD files. If you don’t have any of those then navigate to https://www.photopea.com/ and open the .PSD in that web browser photo editor.

1. You can change the “your text here” to whatever text you want. I recommend making one copy of each saying: About, Showcase, Availability, Payment, Contact. Also, you can change the hue/saturation by pressing CRTL + U in any program including Photopea.

2. Open this in a new tab: Collaboration Portfolios and create a new topic. Then, delete the Roblox Template that will be shown.

3. Import each of your banners into the post in the order you would like. Now under each banner put the information you would like. View my finished/raw templates which I display at the end of the post for ideas on what to put.

4. Decide prices for your work. If you need any help just send me a private message with your work and I can help you decide some prices!! :smile:

Raw Template

Your Company Name

Hello there, I am (user) and I am a (Artist,Builder,Scripter or whatever you are doing) and I sell things to the roblox community. Thanks for coming to my portfolio!

You can view my work below.
(Attach photos or proof of work)

I am avalible from 0:00am to 0:00pm on weekdays and 0:00am to 0:00pm on weekends. I can always find more time to fit you in if needed.

I accept :robux: Robux as payment for my work. Here are my prices:
(decide your prices)

You can contact me on the DevFourm, on Discord (discord user) or on Twitter (twitter user).

Thank you for your interest!

Template

Msami’s GFX

Hello there, I am msami7893 and I am an Artist and I sell things to the roblox community. Thanks for coming to my portfolio!

You can view my work below.
(Attach photos or proof of work)

I am available from 11:00am to 6:30pm everyday in the EST timezone.

I accept :robux: Robux as payment for my work. Here are my prices:
:robux: 100 - Advertisement
:robux: 250 - Logo
:robux: 500 - Thumbnail

You can contact me on the DevFourm, on Discord Msami#3783

Thank you for your interest!

If you need any assistance with creating your portfolio, or have any comments/questions then just reply or send me a private message!

Make sure to check out Industrial which is a graphics community!

written by @https_KingPie
  • Developers should use embeded pictures and videos as much as possible. No one wants to click on links and, most importantly, no one is going to:

• Developers should never post incomplete portfolios. I read so many portfolios that say stuff like “I put this together in a rush so not all of my stuff is here” or “Here are just a few of my works because I’m too lazy to post the rest xp” and the impression I’m left with it “Awesome - better not hire this developer because if they’re willing to rush their portfolio (which is their first impression to any person hiring them) or just plainly admitting they are lazy - how can I possibly trust them with my game or assets?”

• Developers should only post lots of work but only if it’s good. Self-explanatory, but too often do people go with “quantity > quality”, add disclaimers that “this work was from a while ago and I’m a lot better than that now”, etc. If it’s on a portfolio, it is going to be the work people associate with you - regardless of whether there is a disclaimer or not. For people who’ve come to a realization that “jeez my old work looks so bad compared to my new work” - then it’s time to remove your old work from your portfolio and replace it with what represents you better.

• Developers should always add prices. This is my biggest pet peeve because it negatively affects the developer by either causing them to miss customers or wasting their time. A really good thumbnail artist, for example, should clearly list how much their thumbnails cost with as much specificity as they can. If the price is relatively low, this helps them because someone may (and will) think “Jeez - that level of quality for that prices is insane - I have to contact them!”. If the price is relatively high someone might think “Jeez - that level of quality is super high and so is that price!” If no price is listed, a customer may assume the price is more than they can afford and not contact the developer even though in reality, they could afford it. Or, the customer may contact the developer only to be informed that the services were way out of their budget - wasting everyone’s time.
    Even if you can’t think of an exact price, give a range, or at least give an estimate!!

328 Likes

Nice tutorial and awesome that you provided some customizable banners for people! This is a super thread.

Here are some of my own personal pet peeves that I thought might be helpful for anyone reading this :slight_smile: :

• Developers should use embeded pictures and videos as much as possible. No one wants to click on links and, most importantly, no one is going to:
What I mean

• Developers should never post incomplete portfolios. I read so many portfolios that say stuff like “I put this together in a rush so not all of my stuff is here” or “Here are just a few of my works because I’m too lazy to post the rest xp” and the impression I’m left with it “Awesome - better not hire this developer because if they’re willing to rush their portfolio (which is their first impression to any person hiring them) or just plainly admitting they are lazy - how can I possibly trust them with my game or assets?”

• Developers should only post lots of work but only if it’s good. Self-explanatory, but too often do people go with “quantity > quality”, add disclaimers that “this work was from a while ago and I’m a lot better than that now”, etc. If it’s on a portfolio, it is going to be the work people associate with you - regardless of whether there is a disclaimer or not. For people who’ve come to a realization that “jeez my old work looks so bad compared to my new work” - then it’s time to remove your old work from your portfolio and replace it with what represents you better.

• Developers should always add prices. This is my biggest pet peeve because it negatively affects the developer by either causing them to miss customers or wasting their time. A really good thumbnail artist, for example, should clearly list how much their thumbnails cost with as much specificity as they can. If the price is relatively low, this helps them because someone may (and will) think “Jeez - that level of quality for that prices is insane - I have to contact them!”. If the price is relatively high someone might think “Jeez - that level of quality is super high and so is that price!” If no price is listed, a customer may assume the price is more than they can afford and not contact the developer even though in reality, they could afford it. Or, the customer may contact the developer only to be informed that the services were way out of their budget - wasting everyone’s time.
    Even if you can’t think of an exact price, give a range, or at least give an estimate!!

72 Likes

I’m going to credit you and add your post to my post. If you want me to remove it, please tell me!

19 Likes

You’re good! Thank you for the addition to this already wonderful post! :relaxed:

17 Likes

Great job!

This will be helpful to those who are new to the forum or creating new portfolios as often the forum can be quite of a puzzle for new members due to the amount of categories.

10 Likes

Maybe now I can actually see some decent portfolios now!

Jokes aside, this was a great post. Thanks.

10 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

The 30 characters

6 Likes

Thank you so much, I agree. :smile:

6 Likes

Amazing tutorial! Nice to see a portfolio tutorial here. The best of all is that you even have included a banner template! That’s very helpful!

Also, would like to add to the image manipulation softwares:
Paint.net, by default doesn’t support .psd format, but there is a plugin for it that would open .psd files for you.

Edit: Made a template myself! :stuck_out_tongue: I am not good at Photoshop, ignore if you don’t like it lol
PSD: Sci-Fi Template.psd (180.0 KB)

Preview

6 Likes

Awesome!
I understand paint.net does not allow .psd without a plugin, as I use it sometimes. But I gave a link to photopea which is a photo editing website with similar controls to Photoshop.

Nice banner, I like it!

4 Likes

I feel like yours is a Template rather than how to write a better portfolio, and I have already written a tutorial on how to make better Portfolios.

I guess the title isn’t something people would find easily

6 Likes

Did not notice that as its from February.

4 Likes

Really useful, thanks :D!
What font did you use for the templates?

2 Likes

This tutorial was amazing, thanks for the tips!

3 Likes

A great website builder (that you can make a portfolio with) is carrd.co
I used it to make my portfolio → xkorl.carrd.co

3 Likes

How do you embed pictures? I’ve been trying to figure that out for a while.

2 Likes

What do you mean embed? You can just upload an image to your post/reply and it will expand into an embed image.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 1.27.11 PM

Like this, where when you click it. It opens?

1 Like

Press the settings icon in the top right of your post/reply workspace window.
IMG_0678.PNG
Then press hide details.
IMG_0679.PNG

• Then replace the text “This text will be hidden” with anything you want. You can add images, lists, or anything else!
  • Then where it says “Summary” you can change that to be the text you click to open the hidden text.
Summary

This text will be hidden

sorry if there are any grammar mistakes or the image is bad quality, did this on my tiny phone lol

6 Likes
Thank you!

It worked, thanks so much! :slight_smile:

3 Likes