How to make a part rotate using the r keybind?

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I want a part to rotate when you press the keybind R. For some reason all of the tutorials i have watched don’t work for my part. My part is a union and its a viewmodel for a placement system.

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    No youtube tutorials helped me.

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    I have tried YT and Devforum.

Isn’t it just pressing ctrl and R?

I made a localscript that will rotate the union by 45 on the y axis. All you have to do is press R

local userInputService = game:GetService("UserInputService")--the service that handles input
local union = workspace:WaitForChild("Union")--the union

userInputService.InputBegan:Connect(function(input, gameProccesedEvent)
	if not gameProccesedEvent then--make sure the player didn't press R while chatting
		if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.R then--if the player presses R
			union.Orientation += Vector3.new(0, 45, 0)--rotate 45 on the y axis
		end
	end
end)
1 Like

Next time please put 3 backticks (```) before and after your code so it formats properly in your post.

I checked the create.roblox.com page because I’m pretty sure you don’t rotate CFrames by Orientation. Have a look at the ‘Rotating a CFrame’ section here:
CFrames | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

1 Like

Yes, but how do i rotate it???

Thank you for the tip, and apologies for misreading.

Thanks for responding but thats the code i always use but it never works, but ill try it when i get back on my pc and let you know if it works.

This should work now as I made it compatible with CFrame Angles

local userInputService = game:GetService("UserInputService")--the service that handles input

if not gameProccesedEvent then--make sure the player didn't press R while chatting
			union.CFrame *= CFrame.Angles(0, math.rad(45), 0)--rotate 45 on the y axis (by using CFrame Angles)
		end
	end
end)

hey, it doesnt work, but i think its because my part is anchored. is there one that works with anchored parts?

maybe this should work?

local union = workspace:WaitForChild("Union")--the union's name

if gameProccesedEvent then return end--make sure the player didn't press R while chatting
			union.CFrame *= CFrame.Angles(0, math.rad(45), 0)--rotate 45 on the y axis (by using CFrame Angles)
		end
	end
end)

i rewrote some parts

its ok, i figured out another way to do it, thanks for the help tho

1 Like

You can make the union unanchored rotate it then set it back to anchored

union.Anchored = false
            union.Anchored = true
		end
	end
end)

Edit: never mind you seem to have solved the issue

Please post how you solved it so everyone reading this post can learn from it, and mark that post as the Solution.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.