How to make a Reflex Sight?

Hello! I was trying to make a reflex sight for a gun and came across the issue of actually scripting it. I know how it might work, but I’m unsure how to code it.

My idea:

The red dot is on a surfaceGUI (with ClipDecendants on) and will use the camera angle (from camera to sight) and invert the angle, then set the position of the image to the inverse side of the GUI?

I’m not sure if this would be an accurate solution though, or if it would even work. If you guys have any ideas, please let me know.

1 Like

Hey, I think I may have a logistical answer, not relating to scripting.

The geometry aspect of it may work, not totally sure. Although with reflex sights, when you raise the firearm, the dot is generally in the same position, which in theory is only not occurring due to you “fishing” for the dot. It might in theory if you add the red dot to the surface Gui and manipulate the arm motion to have the red dot moving and have it as if you are “fishing” for the red dot. Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else as to firearms.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, but could you elaborate a bit more on the “fishing” term you are talking about? I think I have an idea but I am not completely sure what it is you mean by that.

Sorry for the late reply. When raising a firearm, specifically a pistol from a low ready or holstered position, it may take the user some maneuvering of the angles of the firearm to find the dot, hence the term fishing, or moving to look for it. If you would like you can add me on Discord, sean.#2038 and I’ll provide a video of it occurring. Basically, you can make the red dot look like it’s moving through the manipulation of the firearms angles/positions.