How to make a rounded block

In this topic I will explain how to make a rounded part like the following image:

In this example I am making a 5 x 5 x 5 cube.
My model will be color coded but your block can be just one color.

First create a part an scale it to your likings. Note that you should scale it to whatever size you want your part to be minis the later addition size. My model uses a 4 x 4 x 4 cube in the center because the parts around it that I later explain add onto the cube to make it 5 x 5 x 5.

In my example I have a 4 x 4 x 4 cube at the moment:

After you have your part then create a copy of it. Next scale your part down to be whatever depth. The more depth the more round your part will be. In my example the copy of the original part is 0.5 studs in height. Next place that part on the top of the original part.
My model looks like this now:

After you have done that repeat it for all of the sides of the original part until the original part is completely covered. Make sure not to overlap the copied parts!

From this point on the original part (blue) will be called the core and the copied parts (red) will be called the shell.

Next create a cylinder that has the length of the core and has it’s other dimensions double the amount of depth you decided to make your shell parts. After you have created that cylinder you should align it with the top shell part and one of the side shell parts.

Now move the cylinder inside the shells until ÂĽ of it is sticking out.
My model now looks like this:

Repeat that until all the inward edges of the shape have been filled with cylinders.

Next create a sphere that that has it’s depth, length, and width double the amount of depth as the shell parts. Then place it in one of the corners of the shape.

Now move the sphere into the cylinders until only â…› of the sphere is sticking out.

Repeat this until all corners have spheres in them.

Finally either union (Ctrl + Shift + G) or group (Ctrl + G) all those parts together to get your rounded part. Make sure you anchor this part! (Unless you don’t want it anchored of course)

Now you have your rounded part!

9 Likes

alternatively you could make one in blender and import it.

5 Likes

Or put a Mesh in the Part that has beveled edges. It will still be square, but the Mesh (not to be confused with a MeshPart that has the rounded edges like @Shadowball_X mentioned) will make the Part appear to have rounded corners.
It’s how they did the original Roblox Avatars.

3 Likes

I do not have access to blender and only make things using Roblox unions and models. With enough work I have created a crystal and a hexagon pillar with rounded edges.
If you would like to see an example of what I have made without the use of Blender I will put a link here to one of the things I have made.

I will say for only using unions and models I do a decent job at making things.

1 Like

Super unoptimized workflow. It is recommended to utilise Blender when dealing with this sort of thing.

4 Likes

As I have said before I do not have Blender.
I still can create some cool things without the use of Blender but I do know it would make this easier.

2 Likes

Blender is free, nothing is stopping you from installing it, if it’s the storage, you can’t run roblox

1 Like

If you want to help with Performance, you should just use Meshes instead of making a rounded block out of multiple parts, and a Simple way to do that would be with Blender, Despite it looking complicated, its not that hard to make a Rounded Block, and you could probably explain it too.

2 Likes

Do you know how time-consuming this is?

3 Likes

ok, so this took me 2 minutes and 10 seconds to follow the tutorial, while for the blender one, it took me 44 seconds, I believe blender is better as it’s more performant, if you want to do it, bevel it, hold S and make it until you find 3 sections, then shade smooth then you’re done (I saved it as a gLTF file)

also you may notice some odd corners

I’m don’t really use a vast range of programs and websites at the moment however I have been trying to open up my range. Roblox is the only thing on which I have an actual account on. I am installing Blender at the current moment though. If I do end up making a tutorial or something on the developer forum again it will be how to make a 2D game look 2D even if it’s built using 3D parts.

Wow! Impressive. Good Job. I don’t know why people are finicking about in the comments section, but this man deserves a cookie for his work. Will use this in my game :+1:

4 Likes

The reason behind everybody’s reaction is because it’s easier to make this in Blender which is a different program and this way appears to have very minuscule imperfections. I have only made things using Roblox unions the entire time but it doesn’t stop me.
I am glad I was at least able to help 1 person with this tutorial. I tried to make it easy to understand too.

2 Likes

They’re just complaining because Blender is (sorry @qpwoeiruty122333 but it’s kinda true) usually more performant than Unions, so it is usually preferred, but when you don’t have experience its better to just use Unions, and in case just learn how to lower the poly count in Blender export it an re-import it back to Roblox for performance, I’ve been using this method for myself and it actually is very useful, if you want to use less parts as possible instead of making a cube and adding 6 parts to it you can make 3 parts taht are longer and intersect them, and @VSCPlays have you been using the 0 increment for the Move tool? Simply change the increment copy paste the position of the cilinder and move the sphere to the angle

This is very useful for when you need rounded things, when you need things that need to go at steep angles I have a tip:
Make a cilinder, then make Union it with a NegativePart that doesn’t touch it and you should be able to resize it however you want (works with Spheres too)

3 Likes

That isnt true, The main reason people recommend this Program is because It is very useful when you want to create stuff that would overall be difficult to crrate on roblox, and is used by a lot of people, and studios.
If you havent even used it, or learned how to use it, why call it “imperfect”?

Meshes can overall help you improve performance of your game. While creating a part with just Mutliple Parts can cause more performance issues. And Memory issues, you may think that you can just Unions, but those arent always the best way to go about it.

People suggest using this to help you, not to criticize you, as it is very useful, dont just get upset about because people didnt like your tutorial, when people suggested it to improve on it.

1 Like

I agree with your point but he meant that his way is imperfect, not Blender is imperfect

1 Like

Can’t install Blender right now I guess. I’m not the admin on my laptop which makes it difficult because if I were to install Blender it would need permissions that I cannot give.

This reply doesn’t seem like it’s super positive. Also I never said anything about being angry or mad.

1 Like

I said who suggesed it, not people who got upset about it, and yeah, that was actually a bit exaggerated, I didnt actually read everything carefully so I ended up assuming you were upset about that, sorry.

1 Like

Wow this post got a lot of hate…
I appreciate that you managed to make a rounded block out of Unions, impressive.

Although yes, I do use blender, you’ve shown that it is also possible in roblox!
Good job, and let’s tone down the hate…

3 Likes