How to make a System Chat Message using the new TextChatService

Hi there,
I am looking at moving onto the new chat system made by Roblox, but before I make this move, I am looking at the new way to make a system chat message. Currently, I have in-game chat tags sorted, but how do I make chat messages?

This is how I used to do it, but this no longer works:

game.StarterGui:SetCore( "ChatMakeSystemMessage",  { Text = "Welcome!", Color = Color3.fromRGB( 255,0,0 ), Font = Enum.Font.Arial } )
8 Likes

Currently in the process of updating my chat also

game.TextChatService.TextChannels.RBXGeneral:DisplaySystemMessage(Message)
22 Likes

Thank you so much!! Curious, where did you find this? I wasn’t able to find documentation?

3 Likes

Took me a bit to figure it out but I found the :DisplaySystemMessage() event in the documentation link. Didn’t know exactly what to call it on but after a bit I figured out you just call it on one of the TextChannels in the TextChannels folder which is under the TextChatService in explorer. There’s 2 TextChannels that roblox makes when the CreateDefaultTextChannels property is enabled under TextChatService, RBXGeneral and RBXSystem.

About to try to set up some chat tags for Owner, V.I.P, etc. Wish me luck lol

4 Likes

Ah, okay, thank you very much! :smile:

1 Like

I figured out color using roblox’s HTML Mimic by using

game.TextChatService.TextChannels.RBXSystem:DisplaySystemMessage("<font color=\"rgb(255, 0, 0)\">Hello world!</font> ")

I am sure this has already been figured out by now but for anyone who doesn’t, this is how.

20 Likes

Awesome! Thanks, it’s very helpful!

Glad I could help. Took me a bit to figure this out :smiley:

3 Likes

Is there any way to run this on the server side?

Based on what I can tell. No, You would be better off using a remote if you want to display a message to all clients. Like shown here:

-- Client
Remote.OnClientEvent:Connect(function(Message: string)
	game.TextChatService.TextChannels.RBXGeneral:DisplaySystemMessage(Message)
end)

-- Server
Remote:FireAllClients(Player, Message)
2 Likes

Do you happen to know how to edit the font type? I’ve been trying to look for an answer but to no avail.

<font face="Michroma">This is Michroma face.</font>

So for the system message do

game.TextChatService.TextChannels.RBXSystem:DisplaySystemMessage("<font  face="Michroma" color=\"rgb(255, 0, 0)\">Hello world!</font> ")

2 Likes

Thank you! It works!

Minimum chars

1 Like