How To Make A Tool Cooldown?

Problem:

I wanted to know if there was a way I could make a cooldown that the player has to wait After Unequipping a sword. So basically after they unequip a tool they have to wait X amount of seconds in order to be able to equip it again.

You can use debounce?

local debounce = os.clock()
local cooldown = 3 -- seconds

Tool.Unequipped:Connect(function() debounce = os.clock() end)

Tool.Equipped:Connect(function()
    if os.clock() - debounce < cooldown then return end
    -- code goes here.
end)
5 Likes

So this is just a bit of a hacky solution… It works but a better approach would likely be to implement a system which manually equips Tools using functions of the Humanoid like EquipTool.
(code goes in Script not LocalScript as direct child of the Tool)

local cooldown = false

script.Parent.Equipped:connect(function()
	if cooldown then
		local player = game.Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(script.Parent.Parent)
		if player then
			wait() --Required or otherwise a warning will be triggered about "Setting the Parent of Tool while something else was trying to set its Parent" and the Tool will not be unequipped
			script.Parent.Parent = player.Backpack
		else
			error("Failed to located Player")
		end
	end
end)

script.Parent.Unequipped:connect(function()
	if not cooldown then
		cooldown = true
		wait(5)
		cooldown = false
	end
end)
4 Likes

Roblox’s wait() is usually a bad practice, you should only check the cooldown when the player equip the tool

What? What’s wrong with wait() and the check in the Unequipped function is necessary to ensure that multiple threads don’t get started for the cooldown debounce.

I just feel like instead of a normal Roblox’s wait(), you should use RunService.Heartbeat:Wait() instead

Developer pages say RunService.Heartbeat is deprecated. Not sure if it’s not up to date or something, but I’ve never really been a fan of Heartbeat. I know it has its use cases but I’ve never had an issue with wait calls being delayed for too long. In this case, I don’t see it causing too big of a problem even if it does.

Works Like a Charm! thanks so much

ill try your solution right away!

Hope this helps!

Only use this if the script is a child of a tool. :smiley:

Script
local debounce = false
    local cd = 3 -- Change to desired amount (seconds)

Tool.Unequipped:Connect(function()
         if debounce == false then
              debounce = true
              wait(cd)
              debounce = false
         end
       end)
       Tool.Equipped:Connect(function()
       if debounce == true then
           local char = script.Parent.Parent -- assuming the script is a child of the tool
           char.Humanoid:UnequipTools()
       end
       end)
1 Like

The Script did not work but, I really appreciate you taking your time to write this script:)

hmmm Im not sure why it dosent work xD I wrote that in the website and since u already got the answer from the others I’ll just not test it in studio. :laughing: