How to make an FPS Animation With Blender!

Please keep in mind:
I am very new to animation, please tell me if I missed any information. Thanks :slight_smile: .

Hello and welcome to my very first tutorial! I’ve always wanted to make an FPS animation, and I’m sure there is someone out there who wants to learn too! So this tutorial is for them! We will be covering:

• Gun Rigging
  • Animation import/export
  • And More!

You will need these plugins:
Blender rig exporter/animation importer -Needed
RigEdit Lite -Needed
camera locker think idk -Optional (I hardly ever use it).

You will need this blender add on:
Blender Add On (I mean, you could use roblox animation editor like iGottic, but blender has better results.)

Step 1: Adding the Blender Add On
This is probably the easiest part. Assuming you have Blender 2.80 and up, this should all be the same. While blender is open, click on the “Edit” tab in the top left.

Then click on preferences.
And this window should appear. Just like magic right?
As you would assume, click on add-ons. Then the install button on the top right. image
Find where you put the python file and click on it. If you don’t see it click on the community tab to see all of the community made Add-ons. Find the Roblox animation add-on and enable it by clicking on the check mark.
You should be good to go! You can safely click out of this window.

Step 2: Rigging
Now for the fun part. Rigging. Fun fact, it took me over 20 tries to get a successful rig. Thanks to Psychem, maxium08, Beepo, Little Animations and l2chador (thanks so much for helping btw) I am now a professional :sunglasses:. Alright alright, keep it humble. So, you are going to want to have Roblox Studio open and find a good viewmodel. A good one is Little Animation’s, I use it all the time. So once you open that in the toolbox (assuming you know how to use the toolbox :sweat_smile:) we are going to un-group the model. We do that by clicking ctrl+u. Delete the one on the right:
Usually I like to animate sleeveless because it is easier, so that’s what I would be doing. When you get the gist of animation, then you can start using sleeves but for now let’s start off easy. So in the viewmodel you want to highlight these parts and click on delete:
It should now look like this:
Now what you are going to want to do is find a gun model you are going to want to animate. Once you have done that we can get started on rigging. Ok, your back. Now we can get started on the fun part. You have to make sure that you follow each and every part followed correctly or it wont work. So lets get started.

Once you get the gun, place it in between the arms like this:

Now you can see if the gun is too small or large. Just scale the model using the scale tool appropriately. Then place the model in the right hand (or left if you are left handed).
Now open the gun model, make sure each part has a different name. In my case, the model does not.
Just rename the parts. Only name the parts that you are going to animate seriously, Name the others like “thing1” or “part1”. Special characters may cause problems with animating. Make sure to name the handle or the main part “body” or “main”. This will control the entire model.
Now for rigging the gun. Select all the parts and look into the property window. ALL the parts should have anchored and CanColide off.
Now open RigEdit Lite. (Select the gun model first). The model should be inside a transparent cube:
In the Explorer, select the main part, then all of the parts of the gun you WONT animate. Then click on “Create Wields”. Remember, body first.
Now your gun should look something like this:

Now, select the Main part again and then click on the parts you WILL animate. This should be like 2 or 3 parts depending on the gun.
Now click on “Create Joints”.
The gun should look like this now:

Awesome! You have finished rigging the gun! You can safely close out of RigEdit Lite. Its all easy from here. Drag the gun into the Viewmodel.
Now click on the Viewmodel and click on to RigEdit Lite. Now select the Viewmodel’s HumanoidRootPart and THEN the Main part of the gun.
Click on “Create Joints”. Then click off Rig Edit Lite.
We have finished rigging! Woo! Give yourself a pat on the back :partying_face:.

Part 3: Exporting the animation and importing into Blender.
If you want to take your animation skills to the next level and use Blender, follow along. If you dont want to use Blender, you can use the animation editor. Alright now for the real fun. Click on your HumanoidRootPart. In the property’s window change the position to 0,0,0. It should have moved into the Baseplate. This is perfectly fine. Now click on the viewmodel then the Blender animations plugin. If it says “Select the rig model” then just select the Viewmodel again. This should window should have opened:

Scroll down to the “Enable/Disable joint for animation” make sure you see the parts that you want to animate, if you dont, then scroll back to the top and redo the rigging (you should lol). Since I see my Bolt and Mag I know I did it correctly:
Now click on the “Export Rig” button. Go to a place where you know you wont loose the rig and click on “Save”. Now open Blender. Delete the cube (X). And click on “File” in the top left corner. The “Import”, then “Rbx animations”.

Select your viewmodel and open it into Blender.

Now click on “n” and a window should open up. On the right click on the “Rbx Animations” tab.
Now click on “Rebuild Rig”. And a prompt should appear, just click on “ok”. Now you should see bones on your viewmodel! Cool right?

Part 4: Setting Up the Viewmodel for Animation.
Part 4 yay! You made it this far! Now for the real fun. Click on your camera. Then on the right click on the camera icon.

Click on “millimetres” and select “Field of View”. Make the FOV 90 (you can make it what ever you want really).
Now click on the icon that kinda looks like a soda pin.

Click on “Add Object Constraint”. Then “Copy Location”.
Another window should appear, titled “Copy Location”.
Now click on the text box next to target. Then click on “_rig”.
Do the same for bone but now click on “CamPart”.
Now add another object constraint. This time click on “Copy Rotation”. Do the same as you did for the location constant.

Now when you move the bone the camera will move too! Now time for some parenting, this makes it easier to animate. Click on a bone, then click on ctrl+tab to go into pose mode. Click on the gun body, then the right arm by holding shift.

Then click on ctrl+shift+c. An window should pop up.

Click on “Child Of”. This will make the right hand move when the body moves. Now while both is selected click on the blue bone icon:

Now click on “Set Inverse”, and right click on influence and click on “Insert Keyframe”. Now we are done with the right arm. Now click on the mag and then the left arm and do the same.
Now both arms should have green bones. So now click on the animation tab in the top.

Now we can work on posing/animation.

Step 5: Posing and animation.
The Blender Animation editor is similar to the roblox one. Therefor I would not go that in depth with it. I will share some of the hotkeys:

• G - Grabs keyframes.
  • Shift+D - Duplicates Keyframes
  • S - Scale the length in between keyframes.

To move the arms you can do so by sliding out this menu:

Now time to enable autokeying. Click on this icon: image This can be found here:
Once you click on that then click on this icon at the bottom: image This icon can be found here: image
Now click on the “keying” drop down in the bottom left corner. Then the “active keying set” textbox, then click on “location and rotation”.
Now make sure you are running the animation at 60 fps. You can do this by clicking on the printer looking icon in the right:

At the 24 fps drop down, click on 60 fps.
Here you can also set when your animation starts and stops.
Now that im done with my animation,

and now I want to export it into roblox, n again and you should see a button that says export animation. image
Then go back to roblox studio and click on the import animation:

Then hit ctrl+v and your animation should appear in roblox studio.

Thanks for reading this tutorial! I really hope it helped. If you have any questions feel free to post them down below.

51 Likes

Very well put and i think it was great however in your title you said making an animation in blender you did skip over some parts like exporting it to roblox and making the animation yourself.

2 Likes

Oh, I see now. Thanks for the feedback. I will update it.

Edit: Updated!

1 Like

Great addition however the thing is i’m a little confused on what to paste in the import animation?

1 Like

When you click on export animation, it copys all animation data to your clipboard. When you click on import in roblox, an script opens up and you past it there. Sorry for the late reply.

1 Like

cool! but is the blender phyton safe? since when i download it this happened (The Addon
Screenshot (1342)

Google chrome calls it as a false positive. The file is safe to keep.

1 Like

alr thanks for you help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

can someone explin how to do this just in blender im not looking to import to studio just animate

I’m sorry, could you be more specific on your question?

im not looking to import this to a game right now just animate it i already know how importing and exporting works

Cool, what can I help you with?

mainly get the camera to move with the armature i tried parenting a empty play axis to the armature and the the camera to the axis but it didnt work

No, so in the constraints tab in blender, add and object constraint and copy the location, then copy rotation. Target is the rig and the bone is your camera armature. Do the same for copy rotation. That should work for you.

my new issue is: when i get it into blender i can animate it everything goes fine. but when i import to roblox the script opens and i paste it. but when im done pasting the script doesnt close and the animation doesnt open. how do i fix this? i havent had this issue when i animate regular r6 or r15 charecters.

Sometimes team create messes up the animation. Try it in a separate game then just being the Keyframe sequences with the viewmodel back into the game you had with team create by either copying it or saving it as a model.

it doesnt work on a solo game either. it refuses to import. no matter what i try

i also turned the animations into nla strips. would that be the issue?

How did you make all those sounds? Cool animation btw @TerrificTadd

I have so many questions can I dm you on discord?

Sure you can dm me. I did not make the sounds my friend just sent them to me lol.