How to make Anime Style GFX

Hello, I am a GFX designer and I am trying to figure out how to make a gfx with an anime style. Something similar to the pictures below, I don’t know if it is drawn or it is a gfx with a photoshop filter.

Example of Picture

4 Likes

From experience, I think this is a mix of both GFX and drawing. On the main character, you can see the custom rig used by the GFX maker [shirt, pants, and the neck shirt collar accessory]. The surfboard could be rendered in, but I’m not sure. But I’m pretty sure all of the head accessories and the face are drawings. The hair is drawn on, and why I think it’s drawn on is because of the lack of shadowing of the hair on the face, and the same goes with the glasses.

For the background, it’s all photoshop pretty sure. First, the sky with birds background, secondly the waves, which are added above and below the character’s layer (making it have a depth feel to it since there is one in front and the back of the character.) And then the beach ball was added in so it doesn’t feel too empty on the left side. Lastly, the sun / light beam was added in on TOP of all of it, so it has a “brightening” effect on all of the things added before it. And then a little bit of motion blur was added on top of everything (except the character) to make it more natural (moving waves, moving character, etc.)

If you really want to make something similar to this, you’d need to make it with custom rigs. But if you want to have hair and facial features like it, you will need to draw it, else you can use Roblox catalog items. And then you need to have experience with Photoshop (or something similar) for layering, blurring, and blending the lights with the characters, background, etc.

3 Likes