How to make Fluid Art/3D Blobs [TUTORIAL]

Hello! I’m going to show you how to make 3D Blobs/Fluid Art.

I’m going to use Photoshop, but I’m not sure if you can make fluid art on other photo editors.

First, make a new layer. It doesn’t matter if it’s your second layer, or any layer other than the first.

Then, select the brush tool and click the “Soft Round” brush.

You will also need 2 colors to make gradient blobs or 3D blobs. If you have 2 colors, the shadows that will make the blobs have a 3D effect will be more visible. If it’s just a plain color, it won’t be seen as much. You can also pick whatever color you want.

Fluid Art Tutorial 4

Spread your chosen color around the canvas, but do not fill the canvas. I recommend leaving some space, to see when you’re done with creating the blobs, you can check if it looks fine.

You will now choose the secondary color you want, and spread it just below the primary color you chose.

Add a Gaussian blur to the layer that has the two colors displayed. Turn the radius up until the two colors have blended together.

Moving on, you’re going to select the “Mixer Brush Tool” that can be found via the Brush tool, by holding the brush icon in the toolbar.

Now, for the brush options click Dry, Heavy Load.

Fluid art tutorial 9

Select the layer that has the two colors. Hold ALT, and point the cursor towards the middle of the two colors. Left click in the middle, and you should have a gradient color in your “Mixer Brush Color”.

Click on any part of your canvas, and it should create a gradient blob! Now, you can make blobs in any form of strokes. It should like like the one displayed in the picture below.

You could also add more details, like highlights by using the pen tool or the brush tool!

That’s it for this tutorial! I hope you’ve learned something from this, and thank you to whoever who views this tutorial. If you have any more questions, you may just leave them here in this post! I’ll try to get back to you asap.

40 Likes