How to make in-game chat a different font

Hello! This is my very first tutorial! I will teach you: How to make in-game chat a different font!

Step 1: Making a local script

What you want to do, is make a local script.

How to make a script if you dont know how to.

Step 1: Go to the top bar in studio

Step 2: Press view on the top bar

Step 3: Click “Explorer” On the topbar

Step 4: Look at Explorer and go, move your mouse onto workspace

Step 5: Press the “+” Button on workspace

Step 6: Search “Local Script”

Step 7: Press Local Script

Step 2: The Scripting

Click next to the “1” and Remove the script that you see. (print(“Hello world!”))

Then type this into the local script:

local Chat = game:GetService("Chat")

Chat:RegisterChatCallback(Enum.ChatCallbackType.OnCreatingChatWindow, function()
    return {
        WindowResizable = true,
        DefaultFont = Enum.Font.GothamBlack, -- GothamBlack is the default font! Feel free to change it any font!
        ChatBarFont = Enum.Font.GothamBlack, -- GothamBlack is the ChatBar font! Feel free to change it any font!
    }
end)

Step 3: The last step

Now, Look under the topbar where it says “Local Script” Move your mouse on top of it, and press the “X” Then look at Explorer, Find the local script and drag it into “ReplicatedFirst” And your done!

I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial!

14 Likes

There’s a built-in method of initialising chat settings that you should use instead. Just feels better and more native than requiring the ChatSettings at least if you want to initialise with certain settings.

local Chat = game:GetService("Chat")

Chat:RegisterChatCallback(Enum.ChatCallbackType.OnCreatingChatWindow, function()
    return {
        WindowResizable = true,
        DefaultFont = Enum.Font.GothamBlack,
        ChatBarFont = Enum.Font.GothamBlack,
    }
end)

This should be a LocalScript in ReplicatedFirst. Even your code should be there as well as it only ever needs to run once. StarterGui is a resetting container so that code will run every time a player respawns which is not particularly ideal.

3 Likes

Ok! I’m new to developing, I’ll make sure to change it!