How to make minecraft-like entities?

Hello :raised_hand:!
The problem is described in the title. Now I’ll get to the point and elaborate a little.
I need objects (in my case, NPCs) not to be pushed when moving (collision is turned off), but at the same time not to be compressed into a heap due to the lack of collision between them.

I think like that (?):

What I tried:
I took each object and compared it with others, if the distance between them was small, then I pushed the object out. This method leaves much to be desired for me, in particular because I don’t quite understand how exactly this can be implemented. :smiling_face_with_tear:

I also tried to detect which objects are currently inside using Workspace:GetPartsInPart(), but this, unfortunately, was also unsuccessful. :sob:

Minecraft immediately came to my mind, because that’s what seems to be done there.
I wouldn’t mind considering alternative options!

1 Like

You want to keep the collision for every npcs without them colliding each others? Else i would suggest to use GroupCollision, setting a group for npcs where npcs will go throught each others but still in collision with the Default group (if it helps or maybe this is not really what you are looking for?)

1 Like

Not really, because in this case, NPCs will simply accumulate in one heap, which is very critical.

1 Like

yeah and it will be a blended Npc, i understand. Why not using Raycasting in front of the npc? if the npc encounter another npc then he doesnt walk anymore until there is no more npc. Or else, you could use pathfinding

1 Like

Are you trying to achieve a “pushing” effect? You mentioned Minecraft, so I can only assume that you mean that when mobs “collide” with each other, instead of looking like they run into brick walls they lightly push each other apart.

1 Like

Yes Yes Yes, this is exactly what I meant, forgive me if I didn’t write clearly in the post.

1 Like

My bad, i should have understand it. But my raycast idea still work for it, you can make them stop walking or pushing the npc in front of them

1 Like

The only way I’d see this as a possibility is having a “hitbox” part surrounding the entity and, when colliding with others, applying opposite LinearVelocities/BodyVelocities that push the entities apart.

1 Like

Just check with workspace:Raycast() and if the result.Instance is a child of the npc model then apply npc.Humanoid:MoveTo(the pushing npc CFrame * CFrame.new(0, 0, -4))

Here’s what I got:

If anyone needs/is interested in how I did it, here it is:

local Workspace = game:GetService("Workspace")

local ipairs = ipairs
local task = task
local Vector3 = Vector3
local CFrame = CFrame
local tick = tick
local print = print

local parts = {...}

local function handleCollisions(part: Part, partsInPart: {BasePart})
	for _, somePart in ipairs(partsInPart) do
		if somePart.Anchored then
			continue
		end
		local partPosition = part.Position
		local somePartPosition = somePart.Position

local lookVector = CFrame.lookAt(
			partPosition, 
			somePartPosition - (Vector3.yAxis * somePartPosition.Y) + Vector3.yAxis * partPosition.Y
		).LookVector

local velocityModule = somePart.AssemblyLinearVelocity.Magnitude

if velocityModule > 12 or velocityModule < 12 then
			velocityModule = 12
		end
		local velocity = lookVector * velocityModule

somePart.AssemblyLinearVelocity += (lookVector * velocityModule)
	end
end

local function iterate()
	for _, part in ipairs(parts) do
		local partsInPart = Workspace:GetPartsInPart(part)
		if not partsInPart or #partsInPart <= 0 then
			continue
		end
		task.spawn(handleCollisions, part, partsInPart)
	end
end

while task.wait() do
	iterate()
end

I usually use local variables for global ones. Because I remember reading that this seems to speed up lua. Although I’m not sure if this works in luau. I’ve done a bit of testing and the results are very similar, so I’m not sure if I’m speeding up the code.

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.