How to make my game pitch dark?

Basically what I’m trying to achieve is a pitch dark game. Here is what my game looks like now (ignore the freemodel campsite, I used it as a placeholder):

However, due to the fact that the clock is set to day, it seems too bright. The reason for this was to add sunrays to the moon and to have a custom skybox, because for whatever reason ROBLOX’s default night time doesn’t support either of this. Is there a way to make the game pitch dark, as if it were night time?

2 Likes

You can use a combination of Lighting.Brightness and Lighting.Ambient/Lighting.OutdoorAmbient to achieve it.

5 Likes

Brightness works, but turning the brightness to 0 makes the sun (which has been retextured into the moon) invisible. Outdoor ambient is already completely black.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for this?

2 Likes

Have you tried a colorcorrection effect? Set the brightness to a negative value and you’ll get a darker scene without the issues you described of just turning lighting.Brightness down.

2 Likes

You might want to experiment into messing around with ‘Atmosphere’. Properties Decay and Color and tweaking it a bit and find something that suits the game.

So with a bit of testing myself, I’ve achieved a pitch black look, however how dark are you wanting it to be? Were you can’t see anything and walk in the middle of nowhere, aside from what has been said above will work however you could try setting the “Brightness” to something like 1.57.

After messing around, you could insert different effects and tweak it a bit to achieve that dark approach. You basically have to mess around with the different lighting settings and things you could insert in the properties and see what works best to you.

I’m basically trying to achieve a pitch black look, meaning you can’t see anything unless there’s a source of light. I have messed around with the Atmosphere setting, changing the color on those doesn’t really affect how bright the scene is. The “Brightness” setting on the lighting is at 1. I have applied effects with Brightness and Contrast, but it did not make the base lighting pitch black.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is of any help, but couldn’t you use fog? Have a dark fog to help achieve that pitch black effect you’re after, I’m not overly sure if this is what you was looking for but I help it helps.

I cannot use the fog feature since I’m using the new Atmosphere feature. Either way, I don’t think It’ll achieve the effect I really want.

1 Like

You can just turn everything as low as possible, and make all of the colors black. You literally cannot see anything without light(except the moon).

1 Like

Idk tbh but I think fog works. Set fog color to Really Black or something similar.

1 Like

Try turning down the diffuse scale.
Depending on your sunray settings you could probably deal with the “Moon” being invisible

The image below has;

• 0 Brightness
  • 0 Diffuse scale
  • Pure Black OutdoorAmbients
  • Shadowmap Technology
  • Low sunray settings (0.02 Intensity and 0 spread)

The image below has;

• 1 Brightness
  • 0 Diffuse scale
  • Pure Black OutdoorAmbients
  • Shadowmap Technology
  • Low sunray settings (0.02 Intensity and 0 spread)

8 Likes

You can try twinking the exposure property in Lighthing

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue myself and I don’t believe exposure property would work as when you turn the value to negative it also causes the light themselves to dim.
For example:
Exposure Compensation = 0

Exposure Compensation = -3

2 Likes