How to make my hovering speeder not go flying when I push it?

My speeder is hovering from a single part that has massless turned off (everything else is turned on, just to make it easy).
I have a vector force going upwards at the force of gravity to counteract it to make it hover.
Now when it’s hovering, there isn’t anything to apply friction to it, so if I push/bonk it, it will go flying.

How do I make it so if I push it, it will only go a little way, like if it was on the ground

You could have a slight force always opposing it, something relative to anywhere from 10% to a high 50% of the force going the opposite direction of the force that it has.

Thanks, that’s one part of it, how would I know what direction it’s going?

You could use a script (in a VectorForce) that sets it’s own velocity to the velocity of the floating vehicle (or whatever is actually powering the hovering function) times negative whatever percentage:

VectorForce.Force = HoverPart.AssemblyLinearVelocity * Vector3.new(-0.5,0,-0.5)

Personally, what I’d do is add a BodyVelocity with a velocity of 0,0,0 and set the MaxForce to something small like 100,0,100. This will make the X and Z slow over time, maybe getting your desired effect. However, BodyMovers are considered legacy, so I don’t know if its the suggested method, but no constraint really matches a BodyVelocity’s function with its MaxForce and such.

1 Like

You should Mod the skateboard code…, no?

#1 I like writing the code myself.
#2 Any complicated code that I don’t script myself, takes an excessive amount of time and energy to understand, if I’m able to do it at all.

Try typing ‘speeder’ into the Search bar up top. I did and there are a few answers there.

That’s where I got the model, I like to do all the scripting myself.
Also they didn’t have it hovering, they had a block be the friction, but for me I want to make it be as realistic to a speeder in star wars as possible.

How about the other ‘speeder’ posts in the search?

I dislike going through other people’s codes very much, more often than not they’ll use something I don’t know then I’ll be trying to understand what it does for the next 10 minutes.

Just saying, that’s how I’ve mostly learned to script!
If you try the model and it works then you know you can learn how it works from that.

I also just don’t think that most speeders will work the way mine does. They probably don’t need to implement any sort of friction.

Bot,
Modding other’s code; is the natural state of a professional programmer.

How does one learn to write a novel? By, reading a lot of novels…

Also, the Speeder in the first Star Wars movie, was sitting on a 10 foot boom. The camera sat on the center of the boom, which just went around in circles…
You do what works…

I will try to fin the skate board, which I modded, into ice skates, and goes crazy-fast!

If you don’t have any friction then every time you apply a force the speeder will just continue to move in the direction of that force.
You keep saying you want to do it your way, but if you search other posts you’ll see that others have done it successfully using different methods.

I’d go with a VectorForce | Roblox Creator Documentation in your main Part and as @Inconcludable suggested about the 0,0,0 Velocity and the low MaxForce for controlling your friction, and use a Raycast downward to maintain a certain distance above the surface below the speeder.