How to make NPC have facial animation?

I want an NPC to have a facial animation, that I could animate in the Animation Editor or something. How could I do this?

1 Like

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think changing the assetId or rectimageoffset of a decal could be possible in the Animation Editor. I think your best bet would be to manually script the animation. Perhaps using a sprite-sheet of faces and changing the rectimageoffset to create the illusion of a moving face. Then firing that function to sync with the animation or anytime needed.

2 Likes

I thought Roblox made that facial animation thing though? Just wondering how to animate with it for my experience.

Roblox bought out a company that was developing expressive faces for avatars, rumored to be arriving for developers to use in experiences. Currently you’re on your own though. Look into how 2d facial animations are done in games like 3d-adaptations of anime, they’re sprite sheets split into things like the mouth and eyes and the developer has to manually “animate” them in code.

2 Likes

In that case, it’s fine, I’ll just wait until they release it and if they don’t then I’ll just not add any.

I thought they had that one schema file though? It worked there, so can I not apply it to any NPC?

1 Like

For anyone still wondering this is now possible. Download the blocky avatar with facial controls on the Create docs and click the face button in the animation editor

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.