How to make surfaces appear wet (Material Pack Incl.)

How to Make Surfaces Appear Wet

READ THIS!!1: If you are only here for the material pack, here is the link to (most of) the Roblox default materials but wet: Wet_Textures.rbxm. But if you want to learn how to do this to any other material, you can read the rest.

This tutorial will guide you through the process of creating materials that give the impression of being wet or shiny. While not overly complex, some basic knowledge of Blender may be helpful. Please note that achieving a wet effect may not work as effectively with metallic materials, due to the way lighting affects metal in Roblox.

Example:

Note: The wood size does not match in this example, but you can fix this in the settings of your material.

Let’s go through the process step by step, using a new texture (cobblestone) as an example:

1. Start by downloading any texture of your choice, try to not have an overly detailed normal map since the scattering of the light makes it appear less wet. If you want some of the default roblox textures you can visit: Google Drive Link
  2. Open your Studio project, and navigate to the Material Manager. Create a new variant with a name of your choice and select a base material.

Texture Settings:

1. Set the color texture to the downloaded diffuse map and the normal texture to the corresponding normal map of your selected material. If either the diffuse or normal map is missing, leave the corresponding setting empty.
    INFO: The diffuse map is just the “Color” texture.
  2. For the roughness, choose one of the roughness textures found in the “Reflections” folder on the Google Drive Or choose your own roughness map that would make it reflective. Generally, less roughness works best.

Congratulations! You have successfully created a wet material!

Troubleshooting:

• If the material doesn’t appear wet enough, try using a roughness texture with a higher shininess percentage (less roughness) from the “Reflections” folder. (Or use your own)
  • If the size of a texture does not match up to a non-wet version, you can fix it by editing the “studs per tile” of your MaterialVariant until it matches that of the original texture.

Feel free to comment if you encounter any issues or if you have any questions or suggestions. I’ll do my best to address them.

PS: There are probably some issues with my spelling or the clarity of my post so please point them out to me

101 Likes

Finally
I have been looking all over the devforum for this, I am sure this will work well.

9 Likes

Thank you for commenting on my post! I hope whatever you are making goes well.

3 Likes

Very useful in the near future for certain of my games.

Thanks for sharing this!

3 Likes

No problem! I’m glad it helped.

3 Likes

Wow this is actually quite clever. Will you post all the default material variants as a model so we don’t have to manually do it for every texture?

6 Likes

I don’t understand why are people praising this tutorial. 1. You don’t need to remake the default materials to add reflectance. 2. This is a TERRIBLE way to add reflections and I mean it. The showcase examples look pretty bad. Please do not use this if you are aiming at realism or high-quality. And this isn’t even a “wet” effect as you named it which is quite misleading and the way you implemented it won’t work for dynamic/interior effects. If you guys want to make a proper reflection effect please check out some tutorials on PBR. (even the official roblox ones!!) you’ll find out how to make accurate reflections that way (and how to make the reflections reflect the map properly not just glow). This tutorial is basically equal to using the reflection property actually I’d say that deprecated property is better in that regard. Idk what is this troll post lol

5 Likes

How is this more clever than using gimp to make pixel perfect reflections? Especially since this takes more time to implement and is more problematic.

2 Likes

Okay, ill do that later today if i can figure out how. (response to Winnerz)

2 Likes

But how do you add reflectance then?

4 Likes

Well, if you have any criticism, you could at least display it in an unbiased way with actual explanations. And yes i know you do not need to remake the materials but this method suits me because it is a whole lot easier to deal with when scripting.

Also, you say it’s a terrible way to add reflections, yet you have no explanation for this reasoning, along with saying that it looks bad, which is not only subjective information, but also extremely uncalled for. I also know the effect which this material has on indoor effects, which i already have a solution for which i did not include since i thought it was straightforward enough to omit.

Since you like giving “advice” can you please make your own tutorial then to show us how it’s really done?

Also. Do you even know anything about Roblox Studio? The reflection property does NOT make a surface more reflective unless it’s plastic or smoothplastic. I doubt you’ve ever even tried making a wet material.

Also your other reply, stating that GIMP would be a better way of making “pixel perfect” reflections has no explanation and I’m pretty sure that would be more time consuming than importing a model (will be uploading those today)

PS: I don’t know if you really think I’m trying to make a mirror-like material, but that is something completely different to the topic of this post.

PPS: I’ve gone through your replies, and around 95% is just useless non-constructive criticism which is mostly lies.

EDIT: You were saying this is a bad tutorial because “this isn’t even a wet effect”. Do you know what? I just found an official tutorial by Roblox on how to do this, and it does it in exactly the same way as me. And it doesn’t even look as good.

8 Likes

Ok small update, i will be editing the post slightly to include the default texture models later this day hopefully.

2 Likes

Okay, i have updated the post to include the default variants as a model, but the tutorial is still there for making your own textures, or for any of the default ones which i couldn’t find.

4 Likes

This works pretty well, thank you!

2 Likes

No problem! thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Thank you for making this; this was really helpful for my games.

2 Likes

No problem! Please send me a message if you make anything cool with this. I like seeing all the things that are possible with this method.