How to make the game scary?

I wanted to make a survival-horror game with endless replayability, like RAKE or anything else…

BUT, i have problem: i don’t know how make it scary.

Yes, I know about different phobias, heights, spiders, darkness, beetles, etc.

But I do not know what will keep the player in suspense, what will not give him rest for a second. That will often scare him, be it the appearance or sounds.

Therefore, I need to know: what phobias do you know / what you have, how to combine them for the best effect and how to come up with a monster that will keep the player in suspense

(i use google translate, sry for bad eng)

3 Likes

You should play some good horror games and take some concepts of a horror game from them. For me the most scary thing in any horror game is being on alert all the time. So basically when the atmoshpere is really scary so like some music plays that gives you some anxiety, the map also should be something scary like a abandoned building or a forest and the player should always expect some jump scares or screamers to scare him but you shouldn’t do it all the time, just by doing some of them the player will wait for another one to come and will be on alert which will make him “scared” all the time while playing the game. Also you should add a lot of fake moments where jump scares would be perfect but don’t add them, so the player think that it will be right here but in reality it’s nothing. For example if your game doesn’t have many doors, you could add a single jump scare at the first ever door he opens but don’t do anything with the rest of the doors in the game so everytime he opens the door he will expect a jump scare

4 Likes

Yes, when i play in RAKE i always hear some noises, screams, and etc.
And it make game the scary, but if u get some gadgets game is not scary cuz u can detect RAKE distance from u and etc. So, from phobias i can combine: darkness, height and get not bad survival-horror where players is moster, i need make players fight for food/resources or etc.
Jumpscare - is good but i wan’t don’t use it or use a bit of it, music also too, i wan’t get player in silence, but if monster is nearly he make noises, and player get scared, or if player hear player/monster walking but don’t know who is, he be scared cuz he think: Monster it or not?

AND i think i don’t give a protect/detect monster methods cuz game not scary with it.

and sry for bad eng, im rus

4 Likes

As far as i know, the human is born with the fear of falling and fear of loud noises.

In games like Outlast and Puppet Combo games you’ll see that whenever the enemy approaches, a very loud noise or a tension music starts playing and the player will instantly feel a huge anxiety and panic.

Here is a very good example: In the game Visage, when a paranormal event happens, the player’s sanity blow up into a red brain icon and a uncomfortable sound plays.

Here is another amazing example: In games like Nun Massacre and Stay Out of the House, when the monster starts to chase you, a horrible sound starts playing, giving the player a HUGE PANIC feel.

I really think that loud noises can make your game very scary, but beware of not making them SUPER LOUD, this would make your game kind of unplayable.

(sorry for my potato english, i’m not fluent yet lol)

2 Likes

I am afraid of:

2 Likes

I suggest removing cheap jumpscares. There should always be a prompt in the seconds beforehand, letting the player pause and go, “dang, I screwed up” Atmosphere is important! Add a light mist, some eerie, but not scary music. (Like don’t have a blaring organ. Light pianos and strings work fine) SFX can be good for ambiance.

Everything needs a noise. Footsteps, rattling, etc. That makes the player aware of everything.

I can help you some more but I need a better idea of the game. Is it single player? round based? Are the creatures players?

Game is multiplayer.

I want make a monster or make player fight for resources and food.

In game anyways be: food, weapon(kitchen knifes or anything else, fists).
Small shop(s) where u can buy only food and kitchen knife(weapon don’t be cheap)
No gadgets, kitchen knife/fists can’t kill monster, food is matter and useful for everything

Also i think make animatronic(yes typical) like in CASE:Animatronic

or monster-mutant like in the forest, or anything else scary

So it’s open an open world with abandoned buildings and AI monsters?

If that’s the case then I suggest having the monster be able to hide in bushes, and make a ruffling noise when players walk by. Then it jumps at them.
@ZER0PSS

We have map, no building system in game, AI monster(can see only 90 deg. and hear on 10 studs and i try to make very not standart ai that be really good).
He reacting on player chatting, walking, and light from flashlight and etc.
He can do noises like scream, walking and etc.

map can be: lost storage, maze, or etc
i want to make crafting system, like plank and thing = weapon

That’s neato! If you don’t wanna change the AI than I suggest the atmosphere, or maybe make looting loud, so the monster knows where you are. As for the hearing, I suggest 50 studs depending on map size

yes, i want to make storage, infinite storage, players can find in it: materials, weapon(crowbar, hammer and etc) and craft from it some weapon and maybe gadgets that help to stun/detect monster position on time(15 sec to stun, and 5 min to detect monster position with GPS tracker)

or not infinite, but very big with infinite resources

GPS ruins the feeling of being hunted as you say. Having weapons is good as long as they only hold the monsters at bay. Is this round based? I’m logging off for now. Good luck!

1 Like

Okay, gps i don’t make, game is not round based, shop can buy: food, materials and give u ‘money’
and he sell: some materials(updating every 3 min, and materials don’t repeat)

Have the monster grab someone from the group of players when they all walk around a corner together.

People fear the unknown. Tell them nothing and throw them in, they have no clue what will happen, but they’ll something will eventually happen. Better yet, make the player have an active decision that cuts the lights or something or enter a cave. Cave Explorer 2 does a great job at this. Nothing goes wrong until you start to complete the objectives. Everything goes back to normal once you return to the surface as well.

Hm, good idea, i try to make a electric things, and when it off idk in map no lighting objects.
But u give me good idea, and for now i need to make a monster.

1 Like