How to make this type of union?

Hello community!
My game has some free models, and I’m trying to rebuild them so they are made by me, althought they look the same. Today, while trying to remake a door, I came with the issue of an union. I think I’ve never seen this kind of union. As you can see in the image below, the part is kinda dark, but into the union it is lighter. I have tried to figure out how to do that, but I haven’t got any answer.
If I remove the union and I union it back, the color of the union becomes the same color of the part.

3 Likes

If I’m correct, you can color the negative part before you hit negate and it should have that effect. When I’ve done it in the past it happened. Try it, but it may have just been something else I didn’t know.

Sorry for the messy reply, had to be quick.

2 Likes

I remember this being normal behavior in the past, but I don’t think it works that way anymore. The union from the model must be from around when CSG was introduced.

@Witnxssed You could instead recreate this by using two unions. Have your outer grey union, and then the lighter grey union inside. Make the inside part slightly smaller, and the negative part you use for cutting also slightly smaller, to avoid any z-fighting between the two unions.

2 Likes

Use a gray decal, as it could provide a similar effect. The effect shown in the door was likely an old glitch.

1 Like

This video explains it all.

1 Like

The decal would cover the top face of the entire part, not just the cutout.

1 Like

Hi @fourpapa1! Thank you for your answer, but sadly it’s not what I am looking at all.
What you are saying is that it was an old feature but it doesn’t work anymore? It would make sense as I can’t find a way to see how it was done and the free model looks very old.

1 Like

Is that a whole union itself? If so, then it can still be done. @fourpapa1 was right. The only way you can do this is to follow his method. (Creating two parts, one smaller than the other one and putting them together). If you do want to keep the color, make sure both unions have the color you want them to have and when you union them together, make sure the UsePartColor property is turned off. My assumption on what you are trying to do might be wrong, so please correct me if I am assuming something else.

(Whole thing is one union)

Step-By-Step Guide (Meant to write 0.001 smaller on all axes, not just 0.001):

(3D Prespective):

This solution works with the CSGV2 system. If you are willing to disable it, then you can just use @3rdhoan123 solution which is very simple.

I hope this helped.

1 Like

I’ve found the solution:

This is possible by disabling CSGV2 (Tick to true):

https://gyazo.com/28a19ea6299ef46249050313d0937b76

If you don’t tick to true, this occurs and doesnt have the UsePartColor ticked on as @Batman212369 shows
https://gyazo.com/e7852b7b126735f54652a35d66b1eab6

Now after disabling it, this occurs:
https://gyazo.com/f717de0973f6f4ae82cfedefd402c115

4 Likes

good point, maybe a custom decal if he can make one

1 Like

There really isn’t any reason to use a decal when there are ways to achieve this otherwise, with or without CSGV2. Making a custom decal for a specific cutout is way more work than any of the two ways mentioned above. Not recommended.

1 Like

Hi @Batman212369 and @3rdhoan123!
Thank you two for taking your time to answer to my problem. I have to say that I’ve tried both of your options, and I’ve found that @3rdhoan123’s way is easier and more optimized than doing it with CSGV2.
And for the others that even though they tried to help me but it wasn’t what I was looking for, thank you too!

Edit: I tried to mark both answers as solutions, but sadly I was only able to mark one, sorry.