How to make Voxel and Future lighting more "compatible"?

Hi ! I’ve been making a new game, and and i’ve noticed that when I use Voxel, the lighting isn’t so great compared to Future lighting. I want to use both because Future looks great but I also want Voxel to look at least somewhat correct.

Voxel:

Future:

As you can see, when using the Voxel lighting technology, it’s way more bright than Future, and I already tried decreasing the brightness value in my surfacelight, but then when I use the future lighting technology; it’s way too dark.

I’d like to know if there’s a solution to this problem, maybe a max brightness or something ?

(surfacelight values)

2 Likes

Try adding ColorCorrection in lighting and change the tint to a darker color or mess with the other properties in ColorCorrection.

1 Like

I tried using it but then it also makes the future lighting too dark oof

Which lighting technology do you want to use? Voxel or future?

If possible i’d like to use both if possible,
for example if someone plays on mobile / average pc, they will probably use voxel
and if someone has a good pc they will probably use future

No worries about that, when you decrease the graphics level in-game with future lighting, the game automatically switches to Voxel lighting.

I believe there is a way to script a system that detects if a player decreases their graphics level and make custom lighting based on that, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks, but the problem right now is my game is more focused on Future lighting (since I use this technology in studio), but until now, I didn’t notice that it looks kind of bad when using voxel/shadowmap lighting and I have no idea how to make the lighting in voxel darker without making the future lighting also darker.

I recommend setting the game’s lighting up in future first, in my own experience future always translates to voxel well but not vice versa. Make sure you’re putting surfacelights or pointlights in the actual light bricks and not as floating nodes or anything.

Add components in the Lighting part of the Workspace.
Bloom and blur work good in showcase projects, and sunrays, and color correction is a great way to filter your game’s look. Try also using other things like global shadows, ambience, brightness etc. You can’t achieve a look you’re going for with just one set of settings. You need to mix and match and create your own format of lighting to get the look you want!

You can’t change the Technology property via scripts, meaning your game can only use either Voxel or Future. Future will look better due to the shadows, but if you don’t want that, tone down the lighting brightness in the lights on your map.

2 Likes