How To Make Your Own 2D Game (NEW ASSET ADDED)

A hill model has been added into the kit, nothing super big

Today I will show you how to make your own 2D game. This tutorial will cover Movement/Camera scripts and how to make your 2D game look good (Skip to the end for game kit!).

Step 1: The Camera

The default camera angle on Roblox can be changed by a player, however we want it to be still in a certain position following the player as they move about. To start, create a local script in StarterPlayerScripts and open it.

Now, You have a clear space to write your script. (MAKE SURE ITS IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND A LOCALSCRIPT)

lets start the script by call the player and Camera Variables.

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local camera = workspace.CurrentCamera

Now that we did that, we need to add some other stuff after it. (I forgot what it does but I’m pretty sure it finds the player)

player.CharacterAdded:Wait()

player.Character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")

Note: The higher the FOV the further the player will be from the screen
(recommended 40-70 FOV)
Then, lets get some of our camera basics such as what the FOV will be and who it will effect.

camera.CameraSubject = player.Character.HumanoidRootPart
camera.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Attach
camera.FieldOfView = 40

After that, we need to call the Run Service with this command

local RunService = game:GetService("RunService")

finally, the function that actually makes it follow the player…

local function onUpdate()
	if player.Character and player.Character:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart") then
	   	camera.CFrame = CFrame.new(player.Character.HumanoidRootPart.Position) * CFrame.new(0,0,30)
	end
end

RunService:BindToRenderStep("Camera", Enum.RenderPriority.Camera.Value, onUpdate)

Your script should now look like this

local camera = workspace.CurrentCamera

player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
player.Character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")

camera.CameraSubject = player.Character.HumanoidRootPart
camera.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Attach
camera.FieldOfView = 40

if player.Character and player.Character:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart") then
	   	camera.CFrame = CFrame.new(player.Character.HumanoidRootPart.Position) * CFrame.new(0,0,30)
	end
end

RunService:BindToRenderStep("Camera", Enum.RenderPriority.Camera.Value, onUpdate)

name the script “CameraScript”.

Now the camera angle should be fixed in a certain Position following the player, but movement will still not be correct.

Step 2: 2D Movement

2D movement is how the player will move. basically the up arrow jumps, down does nothing, and left and right go forward and back. This is pretty hard to explain so I’m gonna sum it up by just giving you the script.

local ContextActionService = game:GetService("ContextActionService")

local jumping = false
local leftValue, rightValue = 0, 0

local function onLeft(actionName, inputState)
	if inputState == Enum.UserInputState.Begin then	
		leftValue = 1
	elseif inputState == Enum.UserInputState.End then
		leftValue = 0
	end
end

local function onRight(actionName, inputState)
		rightValue = 1
		rightValue = 0
	end
end

local function onJump(actionName, inputState)
		jumping = true
		jumping = false
	end
end

if player.Character and player.Character:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
		if jumping then
			player.Character.Humanoid.Jump = true
		end
		local moveDirection = rightValue - leftValue
		player.Character.Humanoid:Move(Vector3.new(moveDirection,0,0), false)
	end
end

RunService:BindToRenderStep("Control", Enum.RenderPriority.Input.Value, onUpdate)

ContextActionService:BindAction("Left", onLeft, true, "a", Enum.KeyCode.Left, Enum.KeyCode.DPadLeft)
ContextActionService:BindAction("Right", onRight, true, "d", Enum.KeyCode.Right, Enum.KeyCode.DPadRight)
ContextActionService:BindAction("Jump", onJump, true, "w", Enum.KeyCode.Space, Enum.KeyCode.Up, Enum.KeyCode.DPadUp, Enum.KeyCode.ButtonA)

Make sure to name the script “MovementScript” so you can identify it.

Step 3: Making It Look Good

Okay, first when you make a 2D game on Roblox, make sure the map is going in the right direction. Often times it doesn’t need to be super detailed to look good, take this for example.

A simple rock pattern, then grass and dirt layers, if it really needed more detail, you can easily add bone models under the stone. Some simple trees and a Zombie NPC obstacle work fine. (Smooth Plastic often goes good for a simple 2D game design)

Some areas of the map have cool things such as a dungeons or jump pad. That really is all you need in terms of decorations, just make sure it fits the style of your game (For example if I was making a 2D boxing game I wouldn’t be using a Zombie).

Moving on, after you add an area of your map, make sure to put barriers so player’s don’t get pushed off it if they run into something. Close the barriers till they can only fit the player and make any decorations in their path “CanCollide = false”.

I would recommend putting in higher speed and jump values if it is a parkour game (default is 50 jump and 16 walk speed).

I also left some of the models from this 2D game I made in a kit along with the tutorial scripts. Feel free to take it! (Make sure to anchor it I forgot lol)

I hope this helps you with your 2D game. These things take a bit of time to make so speeding up the process for newer developers is always nice!

Okay so I’m looking at this a bit after publishing and I would like to say thank you all for using this tutorial/resource!

127 Likes

Woah, awesome tutorial! I’ll probably use this as a minigame for one of my games! Thank you so much!

7 Likes

No problemo, I’ll be doing a few more of these soon such as Auto Updating Dancing Avatars and maybe something else if I think of it.

10 Likes

Amazing, Thank you so Much!

nice scripts!

2 Likes

thats cool but this isnt really a 2D game since you can see the depth

6 Likes

Well a 2D game doesn’t have to be fully 2D, if you want it to be you can make the parts into images, add invisible parts for player’s to walk on, and move the camera down a bit so it looks right! Note (I forgot but you might have to put the player on the front to make it look right. Try to see what you like if you use it!)

7 Likes

or just set the fieldofview to 1 and put the camera very far away which is probably the simplest technique

i did that for a test game: nmpbet - Roblox

2 Likes

Thank you really bro. I learned a lot of things that will help my roblox career.

1 Like

No problem, I would love to see what you use it for!

The W and S key still make the player to move in that direction, what script should I use to stop that?

2 Likes

You can change up the movement or make the W and S key do nothing and make the A and D change the player’s rotation. If you want me to add that I can!

1 Like

I try to make my own 2D game too.
But I cant understand because I am bad at scripting.

2 Likes

It’s alright, we all start somewhere!

1 Like

Yes, it would be really usefull if you add that. Either way, thanks for the tutorial, really clear and easy to understand, I’m working on a 2D game thanks to this!

2 Likes

Could you please add this . It will be really helpful

You seem to have forgotten one step: Jump-through platforms.

for _,child in pairs (game.Workspace:GetDescendants()) do
    if child:IsA("UnionOperation") or child:IsA("MeshPart") or child:IsA("BasePart") and child.Name == "Platform" then
   child.Touched:Connect(function(hit)
    if hit.Name == "Head" or hit.Name == "Handle" then
        child.CanCollide = false
        child.TouchEnded:Connect(function(hit1)
        if hit1.Name == "LeftFoot" or hit1.Name == "RightFoot" or hit1.Name == "Left Leg" or hit1.Name == "Right Leg" then
                child.CanCollide = true
            end
            end)
    end
    end)
	   end
end
5 Likes

thats sick bro thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Does anyone know how decals can be made visible? I’m not sure why, but adding a decal to any part seems to make it invisible when testing.

1 Like

how would I rotate the camera, its not facing where I want it when modify x y and z values

Hey uh you could also use canvasdraw