How to please all types of Roblox players

I have been working on a game that I know will be great when I wrap up its development and I want my game to be as a popular as possible, if not more. I know that’s asking a lot, but hey, popularity is the goal. As many of us know, majority of Roblox’s audience are children and many developers make games to please the kids of Roblox, but at the same time, many developers have never made a game before and are unsure to how to do this, because of this reason, many developers look to other successful games to steal ideas. I am one of these developers, except for the part where I steal peoples’ ideas, I have my own great idea that I know people will love, but I do not wish for my game’s success to be affected in a negative way due to its disapproval amongst the younger players or other types of players here on Roblox. For this reason, I am willing to add, or even make changes to my game to maximize its popularity with all kinds of users, so allow me to explain some of the weak points in my game.

My game is somewhat original, meaning that I am taking a risk on whether or not my game will succeed, but due to how high the bar is currently set, I’m not worried. What I am worried about is the fact that, the top games on Roblox are either anime games or role-playing games, which my game is neither of, my game is a pet dueling game with puzzles, but I am trying to keep the puzzles easy and the battling simple. My game also doesn’t have cartoony graphics, but after some observation, I have concluded that graphics play a small part in the success of a game, so I’m not too concerned about my game’s graphics. I am mostly worried that the success of my game will be harmed by my failure to not only please all ages, but also both genders. I already have a few ideas to how I can keep all ages happy, but if you notice, the games on the front page are enjoyable by both males and females, and as a male I am not too sure to how to please the female side of the equation whilst (in the least sexist way possible), not making my game all rainbows or all emo.

In conclusion, I am asking if my game will need some adjustments to be the best it can or does my game cover enough of Roblox’s player base already? Do note that I am not just attempting to make a successful game, but a front-page game. Thank you.

6 Likes

Design Foundations :link:

Design foundations are the fundamental knowledge and skills required to design a successful game. The following videos and resources discuss designing a core loop, creating progression systems that engage and retain players, and other foundational topics.

Marketing and Community Engagement :link:

Cultivating an active player base is an instrumental part of developing a successful and enduring game. The following videos feature insights from top developers about marketing their games, acquiring new players, and engaging with their player communities.

Articles / Production / Game Design / Index

When using Roblox, always remember to be kind . If you see something that you think violates the Community Standards, please let us know by using the Report Abuse feature. For more information about the legal relationship between you and Roblox, head over to our Terms of Use.

We appreciate your cooperation with these standards and commitment to making Roblox a safe and respectful space.

3 Likes

so 2 things:

1. since you havn’t actually given much things about your game, I feel like you could shorten your big text block, because you really didn’t need to tell us you are willing to make changes for like 5 times (especially since we aint here to give feedback specifically on YOUR game)
  2. just a lil idea but if you want to focus more on your own game, I suggest making a topic in Help and Feedback: Creations feedback

Anyways onto your main topic, its basically impossible to satisfy all players, since people’s likings goes against each other (which is another reason why you should ask us about your specific game, as it would let us tell you how to please the target audience of YOUR game) for example, there could be players that enjoy making other players angry, and players that simply dislikes specific genres.

1 Like

Appealing to all demographics is a near impossible task. You can take any game or product as an example. Nintendo advertises towards families and children, chess aims towards older age groups, etc. For your game, you should try and select a main target demographic, such as children under 12, and build your game around that.

Some groups like gender come pretty easily, as you can easily appeal to different genders in certain genres with small features like character creation and what not. However, I think you should first focus on building your game and then worrying about publicity as otherwise you’ll get too caught up in pleasing everybody and most won’t be able to enjoy it.

I do not care about trolls, why would I even consider trolls when designing a game? Anyway, there must be a way to satisfy the majority of players on Roblox, think of it as a balance, I want my game to be as balanced as possible, of course this means that the game won’t be all cartoony for the children, but it won’t be all death and humor for some of the older audience, which I am okay with, it’s just enough that everyone can have fun.

Again, I am okay with not making the perfect game for all kinds of players, just a game that is enjoyable for all the types of users, but I am mostly aiming for a game that pleases all ages and genders. Welcome to Bloxburg is enjoyable for most ages on the younger side and is fun for girls and boys, of course the game doesn’t appeal to everyone, for example me who doesn’t enjoy role-playing, but this is the kind of balance I am going for, where my game appeals to the most amount of people as possible.

Also, game design is not something that you put aside and think about later on in the development process.

You can’t. Best choice is just to have as much creativity as possible for the players like in Bloxburg. Other than that, there’s no “special tricks”.
It’s not easy to have Da hood kids, Barbie girls and intensive racers to appreciate something together.

Just adding on to this, bloxburg for example, I like that game, but a main reason why I dont play it much would be because of its “very realistic” (because I dont know what else to call it) sky, I personally just doesn’t like the feel. Other people REALLY love it.

Lastly I guess techincally a “Metaverse” would work?

I hope this quote will help you think about your objective:

“I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”
Bill Cosby

2 Likes

Allow me to rephrase, I am not trying to make a game that will please everybody, Roblox’s player-base is made up of mostly players under the age of 18, so I wish to create a game that is enjoyable by this age group. Your stereotypical Roblox player, under the age of 13, enjoys simple/brain-candy games and your stereotypical Roblox player over the age of 13, enjoys socializing and playing games a little more complex, so I don’t want my game to be too complicated or players under the age of 13 won’t play, but at the same time, I don’t want my game to be too simple or else I lose the older Roblox players, so I’m not trying to make a game that will appeal to all players of all interests, I only want to make a game that appeals to all the stereotypical Roblox players.

I also don’t want to make my game all cars and guns because I know that many girls to not enjoy such games, but I also don’t want my game to be all pink where you can raise a baby and customize your avatar because many boys don’t enjoy these games. The main types of people I am trying to appeal my game to is players under the age of 13, players over the age of 13, boys, and girls, if I can appeal to these groups, like many games have already, then I already have the attention of basically 90% of Roblox users.

Again, I am not trying to be sexist in any way, I am just using your stereotypical kind of person to customize my game.

Thats more like half of roblox players, rather then 90%, if you want to please them, just make a generic copy-paste tycoon (using a tycoon kit or even just a premade tycoon), or a simulator game with very shiny colors, low poly models, and blocky pets that you open from bad looking eggs

The entire idea behind creating this topic was to get help improving my current game idea to make my game enjoyable for as many people as possible. Simulators and Tycoons are garbage games that lazy and unskilled developers make, these games rarely make the front-page and nearly never stay there.

Boys, girls, under 13, and over 13, what other kind of Roblox player am I missing? Yes, my game will be aimed at an audience under the age of 18, but that is alright, figuring that that is the Roblox player-base.

After reviewing all of your “possible solutions”, I have come to the conclusion that you are more focused on attempting to make me feel like an idiot rather than actually trying to help me, so I am asking you to either refrain from replying in the future or to relearn the purpose of the DevForum and provide me with the assistance I have requested. Thank you.

Bro you said it yourself

Your stereotypical Roblox player, under the age of 13, enjoys simple/brain-candy games and your stereotypical Roblox player over the age of 13

Boys, girls, under 13, and over 13, what other kind of Roblox player am I missing? Yes, my game will be aimed at an audience under the age of 18, but that is alright, figuring that that is the Roblox player-base.

makes way more sense

for that, I would suggest some sort of game thats less “permanent” such as doomspire brickbattle, where instead of having to spend loads of time afking in the game, you would be able to play around, customize things (your character, items, E.T.C). Very important to make the game not too skill based, but still relatively so, a good idea is to make it a team game, so both personal skill and team skills matter

a good game to reference is “Super Doomspire”: Super Doomspire - Roblox
and slap battles (although it lacks on customization): Slap Battles👏 - Roblox

1 Like

My post earlier was meant to reply to this statement you made. Rather than appeal to all ages and genders, it is wiser to pick one than try to appeal to all. A wider base doesn’t equate success. Making your game really enjoyable by one demographic is enough to bring you the success you are looking for. Trying to make your game enjoyed by all groups will lead to your game being enjoyed by none. This is my opinion atleast. And my post was not meant to

I actually was giving you what i consider sound advice.

Again, I am not necessarily attempting to create a one-game-for-all, I am trying to find the proper changes I should make to my game to capture the most amount of people, not necessarily everyone. Adopt Me, Welcome to Bloxburg, and Brookhaven, all appeal to large amounts of people, girls, boys, and (mostly younger people), but they all get enjoyment out of these games, but if these games focused too much on a singular group of people, like Royal High, then maybe it wouldn’t have gotten as popular. So, I am asking what potential changes could I make to my game to capture a large audience? What things could I add? The goal is to make a game that captures the most amount of peoples’ attention, without doing what you mentioned.

No, you are fine that message was for @PANDASonNOOB, not you.

1 Like

I understand and your situation is what many face… without seeing the actual game it is hard to offer suggestions on changes. Other people with this situation usually will set up a tester group to test the game early in its development and offer feedback to the dev. You could potentially do this.

Another idea is to find games similar to yours and aggregate their strategies and weaknesses and try to model yours similarly.

Without tangible testing of the game, its very hard to narrow down what could potentially make or break your game. Keep in mind though, this post could easily be posted a year into your game release, its never too late to change the gameplay or alter its features to suite your audience. Many games got to success with plain old “trial and error”.

Best of luck fellow dev!

You will never be able to appeal to truly everyone no matter how hard you try. Your best hope is having a nice family friendly experience that isn’t kid oriented so to speak (mario kart is a great example of this. it’s wholesome family friendly fun that isn’t directly targeting younger audiences)

I should probably rewrite my topic.

Just saying, adopt me focuses on roleplaying, house building, and collecting/trading, bloxburg focuses on roleplaying and more advanced house building, and i have no idea what brookhaven is about except roleplaying. They all still focus on a large genre

So, should I leave room in my game for role-playing? Children love to “play pretend”, with toys, with each other, and figuring how most of Roblox’s player-base are kids, would it be a bad idea?