How to put any image on a ImageLabel?

Hi, I’m making some random games. I tried to make a Text Label that will show a youtube video’s image on it, but it’s not working. Can anyone help?

2 Likes

If you want to display an image in your game using ImageLabel, you have to first upload it to Roblox and set the ID in the property of your ImageLabel.

You can upload an image here, make sure you follow Roblox’s TOS and don’t get in trouble,

1 Like

That’s bad :frowning:
I just wanted to make a GUI that will show my latest YT video image and etc.

1 Like

Manual uploads are the way to go.
unless you want to risk your account and etc with a bot that will upload it on your behalf for you, using roblox’s api which don’t ask me if it’s TOS abideable or not.

1 Like

Undoable, unless you can be bothered to change it everytime you do an upload

2 Likes

Hi! In Roblox, use an ImageLabel instead of a TextLabel to display a YouTube video’s thumbnail. Set the Image property to:

https://img.youtube.com/vi/[VIDEO_ID]/maxresdefault.jpg

Replace [VIDEO_ID] with your video’s ID. Adjust the size and position as needed.

It’s still not showing up on a Image Label.

The video ID would be “dQw4w9WgXcQ” in a link lik “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ”. So make sure you keep that in mind. Also make sure the video is uploaded to YouTube servers. If all of this is correct but it doesn’t work then use the good ol’ Snip and Sketch to capture the thumbnail and upload it.

I followed all the steps, but it’s not worked

You prob need to upload the image to roblox then.

Steps to upload to roblox
  • Create or Find Your Image:
  • Ensure that the image you want to upload meets Roblox’s requirements. It should be a PNG, JPG, or GIF file and have appropriate content (nothing offensive or copyrighted).
  • Open Roblox Studio and log in with your Roblox account.
  • Open Your Game or Create a New One:
  • Either open an existing game or create a new one where you want to use the image.
  • Access the Asset Manager:
  • In Roblox Studio, go to the “View” tab and select “Asset Manager.” This will open the Asset Manager panel.
  • Upload the Image:
  • In the Asset Manager panel, click on the “Bulk Import” button, then select “Images” to upload your image. Alternatively, you can click the “Add” button and choose “Image.”
  • Browse to the location of the image file on your computer and select it. Roblox will start uploading the image.
  • Use the Image in Your Game:
  • After the upload is complete, the image will appear in the Asset Manager under the “Images” tab.
  • You can then use this image in your game. For example, you can set it as the texture for a part or use it in GUI elements.
  • Publish Your Game:
  • Make sure to save and publish your game to see the changes in the live version.

Then simply copy the asset id to use it in your game!

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local imagelabel = player.PlayerGui.ScreenGui.ImageLabel
local id = -- Uploaded asset id here
imagelabel.Image = id

The example link you replied to was given to me by ChatGPT, and it was a rickroll :rofl:. It knows what it’s doing :rofl: :rofl:

1. Make an HTTP request to youtube API to fetch the thumbnail image in binary format
  2. Use a custom module to read the image(for example Roblox PNG Library by MaximumADHD that can read PNGs)
  3. Use that library to fetch a pixels array, convert it to a flat RGBA array and use it to write the pixels of an EditableImage
  4. Put the editable image under the image label you want to show the image on

Alternatively if you can’t find an image reading module that matches your needs, you can use your own custom server that uses professional tools to understand the image and returns a pixels array as a response to your Roblox server request.

Make sure the thumbnail doesn’t break any of the Roblox rules else your game might face issues regarding that.

Step #1
Do you know how to add a image to Roblox via Studio?
(if not go research how)

In Studio…
Click VIEW tab/Asset Manager
in the Asset Manager window (that is now open)
On Image, Right click/add image… pick your image.

Step #2
Do you know how to put an image into a Imagelable or a decal using the ID?
(if not go research how)
This always seems to come up on the wrong side of the object you need to make sure that is right.
On the SurfaceGui/Face … front, back … whatever it is for you.
On the Imagelable you need to set the size at {1, 0},{1, 0} for fully covered.

It is also way easier to use a Decal for this and skip the GUI.
ImageLabel needs to use a SurfaceGui for the part used and the SurfaceGui setting Adornee needs to be set to the part used.

How to do both ramdom video on this.
Odd way of getting the image however.

Now all we need is the video image…

This is the actual video…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvFZjo5PgG0
In the browser URL put…
http://img.youtube.com/vi/xvFZjo5PgG0/hqdefault.jpg
See how xvFZjo5PgG0 was added to that line.

Save the image from the browers with right click menu save image.
Then back to step 1 and 2

outcome:

All this said … I have no clue if that image would be copyrighted.
I’m thinking it would be. ???
As far as doing this in real time … I wouldn’t even touch that
due to copyrights.

Yes I post just like I program … refine, refine, refine :rofl:

It’s not even doing anything when I’m right clicking in images

It’s just an image. That isn’t a link to the video.

If you’re talking about this…

In Studio…
Click VIEW tab/Asset Manager
in the Asset Manager window (that is now open)
On Image, Right click/add image… pick your image.

That is how you get to the “pick your image” interface.
Make sure you’re hovering over the word Images.
It should have the option Add Image after right clicking.