How to remove ugly shadow lines on my meshes without significantly changing the mesh or lightning?

When I import my mesh into studio, some edges have a shadow on them that I dont really like and would like to remove them.

Alot of people say i should add more geomety, bevel the edges but i want to keep the same geometry or have changes that nobody will notice to fix the shadows on the edges

I tried triangulating the mesh in blender, tried chaging outdoorAmbient to completely white, tried setting lightning technology to future and voxel, those things didnt change the look of my creation that much but also didnt completely delete the lines of the shadows

Any help, tips to clear the shadows atleast a bit without significantly changing the mesh or lightning are appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

It’s just that you have smoothing normals. Read what “mark sharp” is or just disable anti-aliasing

5 Likes

i want it to be shaded smooth, when the faces are flat it looks odd to me
how can i disable anti aliasing?

4 Likes

You will need to modify the shading of the normals in Blender.

Example:

To remove sharp edges that may cause unwanted shadows:

1. Edit Mode

2. Select lines/vertices you would like to smooth

3. Mesh Window

4. Normals Dropdown

5. Average

Then it is up to you to decide which looks better for your mesh; face area, or corner angle. You can also Ctrl + A and apply this procedure to all vertices to make the entire mesh look smooth.

Example of a fully smoothed mesh:

Make sure none of your offending lines are marked as sharp in Blender. It is important to note that if you edit the mesh, the new changes will not conform to the normal mapping. You will need to recalculate the shading by following the same process.

Hope this helped! :smile:

5 Likes

When i select my edges i want to be shaded smoothly and modify the shading, it doesnt just shade smoothly the edges i selected but the whole cube

after modifying:

this is what i look for (using auto smooth and marking my edges with sharp):

2 Likes

this might be the same problem

3 Likes