How to resolve train bogie bouncing issues / The cause of it?

Hello,over the course of the last week or so,I’ve been trying to fix an issue where for some odd reason,the train bogie bounces off the track quite often (especially at high speeds and turns).

The bogie works by having four gliders (balls) underneath to keep the it on the track.

As shown here (Image),

The entire bogie (all parts) and the track both have their friction set to 0 in CustomPhysicalProperties.
They also all have custom densities.

The issue I’m facing is that the fact that when it moves,the bogie bounces.

As shown here (Video Link),

The issue also occurs when the bogie runs on its’ own (with no chassis or body).
It bounces too much and causes the train to slow down on curves and even derail as shown in the video.

I’ve tried many different solutions,
Tried to modify CustomPhysicalProperties to ensure the least bouncing possible.
Tried to adjust the positions of the gliders.
Tried to add VectorForce to push the bogie down.
Tried different shapes for the gliders and balls seem to work best.
Tried making the bogie completely massless.
Tried to search for different solutions and older dev forum posts.
There was something related to workspace gravity that others mentioned,but I cannot adjust workspace gravity as it affects other gameplay features.
That CFrame movement is not a possibility as a gameplay feature related to trains heavily relies on physics.

What is the cause of this? What is the solution? (If any more info is needed relating to the bogie,simply reply)

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Honestly Roblox physics have been a pain to deal with for a long time.
What I’ve noticed most train games / systems do is put a part in the very middle of the track and only make it collide with the rails itself so it works like a guide, maybe try that?

If the train travels in a straight line, maybe use a prismatic constraint

You could try increasing the weight of the train, or possibly decreasing the torque. When you put too much torque through a constraint, they tend to jump around a good bit.

Use a fake wheel, it will much more smoother.

Solved it by myself,

For anyone having a similar issue,
I set the Elasticity to 0 on any Part that has contact with the rails and also increased the weight more on the bogies and reduced the weight on the actual body of the train.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.