How to start as an artist in the community?

so i was wondering how can i start as an artist in the community
any ideas?

9 Likes

Just start drawing and sharing it with the community somewhere either on Twitter or here.

10 Likes

I would recommend finding a type of art that you like making and then finding specific software that could help you with that.

Practice with that until you get the hang of it, get feedback, and then you could probably start taking commissions if you want.

5 Likes

You can research how to do it, and especially if you’re using a software like Blender or Photoshop you should get familiar with that. Other than learning your software, the only way you can really improve is by making art and practicing.

1 Like

Start drawing.

That’s literally it.

Don’t be afraid to share your work, even if you think it’s crap. You can get some pretty good criticism if you’re specific about the struggles you’re facing. In addition, encouragement and compliments from people just show you what you do right and motivate you.

4 Likes

Depends on type of art do you want to do but in general just learn the software, then start making what you want. Once you get stuck ask for help or search on google for a solution then apply what you learned for next time and keep going from there.

1 Like

i just made my portfolios
if you want to check it out here is the link

1 Like

I just make arts on twitter and when I joined dev forum they jsut gave me “artist” role

2 Likes

i do not know why but people think that i never tried posting my art
i did the basic and simple things. but they never worked
i asked this question cuz i know that there is people with more knowledge that me
and i may have missed something
im not trying to offend anyone here
but anyways thanks for trying to help me i really apreciate it (:
if you have any knowledge in this domain please tell me
also i made this post cuz i didn’t see anything like it in the devforum and i wanted other lost artist to find this and use the advice here

it’s barely been a month so don’t expect to be dragging in people.
Your art is decent but there’s not much organization and it’s presented as if you just put random drawings you made under a tab.

1 Like

well nobody stated that the fact that portifolios needs to be super clean and organized and there aren’t that many examples in the devforum so i will add this to my knowledge
and the reason why i made this post is to know how to actually become better
becuz i know the world does not revolve around me
im not expecting people to come from around the world to ask for commmision as soon as i post something
now that im thinking about it why did you delete the comment here

If You would like to start as an artist for the community I suggest that You start by making free commissions for people and then later on start charging people once You have at least 5 to 10 examples of what You can create

To add on to that promoting what You do on social medias like Twitter would help

that’s off topic but anyways i deleted because it was a bump post since it was 2 months old

it’s just common knowledge that your portfolio should be clean and organized to get people interested and know exactly what they want

1 Like
Be Supportive

To start out as a designer, you need to start being supportive of other designers. This forms a bond between you and the community and increases your odds of getting more appropriate and less biased criticism and feedback on your work. Oftentimes, you can just surround yourself with people who look to your designs blindly and blow up over them, regardless of if it’s good or bad. Yes, it’s great to feel a sense of appreciation in your work but, this doesn’t help you improve at all if your entire fanbase isn’t honest with you and your work.

Getting Involved

Truly, one of the greatest things you can do with yourself as a self-taught designer is to participate in events or competitions dedicated to your field of designing. Things like “1 Hour Challenges” or “Photoshop Battles”, etc. This allows you to expand your brackets as a designer without the feeling of a burnout. This also has you develop your creativity and grasp certain techniques and skills from other designers or even discovering them yourself!

However, this doesn’t have to strictly be events or competitions; it can just be an opportunity for you to participate in a certain group or organization that prompts you to design for them.

Don't Follow The Crowd

Oftentimes, beginner designers in a certain community just follow the crowd of designers and stick to the style that the community is accustomed to. The issue that lies here is that this pressures new designers to not branch out and leave them with little to nothing to work with in terms of creativity. Don’t design for the sake of following the crowd, experiment with styles, and it will come to you naturally.

Start Working For People

Getting to be a part of a community means that you need to have some form of credibility for people to want to take you, as a designer, seriously. Begin by working for people in the community and start getting your name out there to other people. This will eventually lead to you getting a brand for yourself.

7 Likes