How to test out VideoFrame

Hello, i’m trying to test out the new VideoFrame feature which i enabled through modded studio but i was wondering how CloneTrooper played a video through it if theres no way to upload a video to roblox.

10 Likes

@Maximum_ADHD uses custom user tools to get features that are currently not active for the normal user, but exist within studio. This feature is currently not active without using custom tools to retrieve it.

I know i have the flag enabled just trying to play a video.

Clone said it uses webw so i converted a test file as a .webw and did file://(directory) still didnt work.

Here, take a look at this.

1 Like

I’ll rephrase my question because you guys are focusing on flags. I’m asking how do i use a local file as a roblox asset. Someone answered file://(directory) but didn’t seem to work.

1 Like

The reason these things aren’t available yet is because they can corrupt studio and mess up a bunch of things if you use them improperly. Anyways, the video property is of type Content, which you can find here. Have you tried putting in a video file which is stored online?

EDIT:
Apparently you can only use Roblox links there. However, if you’re on Windows try putting a video in %localappdata%\Roblox\Versions<version>\content and then using rbxasset:// to get to it. Still wouldn’t recommend it too much and would make sure to take precautions.

You’d need to put it in your Roblox Content Directory and refer to it as rbxasset://a/b/c.webw

You can find your Roblox Directory here:
C:\Users\Elliott\AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions\version-xxxxxxxx
may be different depending if you’re studio is installed on your user account, or within your system

Within versions will be 2 (or more) folders. (one for client, one for studio, and occasionally older versions may have folders here) Your studio folder should look like this (but with more dll files):

Within content is where all content used by studio is.

Here you can see an example in the file explorer:

And an example in studio:

Hope this helps, however I still strongly discourage tinkering with your studio directory as it can cause irrefutable damage, even if you’re in an empty baseplate.

You should make sure you delete any files you’ve added, not to override files unnecessarily, and to reiterate, make sure everything is cleaned up (including with flags)

3 Likes

You are currently unable to test VideoFrames natively or with the mod manager.

CloneTrooper1019 has special power tools he created to run things via experimental Studio builds. The mod manager is simply a mod manager, it does not do anything to Studio besides launch it with edited configurations.

The mod manager is intended to help you manage fast flags on Studio easily and isolated from your Studio files so you don’t corrupt your Studio build by changing fast flags (something that is advised you do not touch unless you fully understand what you’re doing, because even reverting flag changes can be harmful).

If you check out the Tweet, you would’ve found the answer to your question. There are responses in which he answers questions about VideoFrame and how he was able to pull it off. You can also just ping him if he wants to reply to this thread.

See the post CodeJared made, the very first post on this thread. CloneTrooper1019 uses custom power tools on experimental Studio builds. The mod manager is not a power tool and it does not run on experimental builds either.

1 Like

It also lets you launch in a gametest environment, which are those experimental studio builds that let you try stuff like this (iirc videoframes were added to gametest2)

1 Like

Oh, you can do that? TIL.

I don’t think the ContentId for VideoFrames are enabled/supported on the main build yet but the API exists, so you’d have to launch with the appropriate flag and build, then a file locally accessible. There could be more to it, it’s worth testing if it’s that simple.

Starting to make me doubt the accuracy of my information.

Thanks it works :slight_smile:

https://gyazo.com/82277424d345f049d79db7232103e25b

5 Likes

VideoFrames seems to be enabled on gametest2 (seems without flags as it’s test)

EDIT: It’s been removed from gametest/sitetest. You aren’t able to access VideoFrames anymore.

6 Likes