How to upload 4K textures

Hello, Recently I was trying to add a realistic texture, It was a 4K texture file size: 31,000KB(31MB), I know it’s possible to upload 4K textures and too large texture since this game uses the 4K texture or maybe even 8K texture

If you have any ideas please reply.

5 Likes

I’ve heard that roblox won’t import images over the size of about 27/28 MB, so maybe try downgrading the quality to something <27 MB.
In case its a problem with the actual textures you’re getting from tho, I highly recommend this website for textures: https://ambientcg.com/

If you need help making the texture appear on meshparts correctly, I’m pretty sure I can help you with that.

1 Like

well, if Roblox only support 2K
why not try to upload a separated 2K texture to shape a 4k texture?
well, it could be just fine for a flat objects right???

1 Like

Can you help me? I need it to appear correctly.

2 Likes

I’ve barely used custom textures to my advantage so this may not be the best source to grab it from, but here:

First of all, you’ll need to have these texture parts exported in Roblox (all of these I’m pretty sure are included in downloading a texture from the site I mentioned earlier):

• ColorMap
  • NormalMap (preferrably NormalDX)
  • RoughnessMap
  • MetalnessMap

I usually export these via the Asset Manager in roblox studio (enable it via view < asset manager).
Once you’ve got them, Add a meshpart to the workspace, set the size you’d like and then add a SurfaceAppearance to it. Go to the SurfaceAppearances properties, and then put the textures accordingly. (NormalMap property has the NormalMap texture you exported, Colormap property has the ColorMap texture you exported, etc.)
And ta-da! I believe that should be it.

4 Likes

If you’d like, theres a guide made by official staff: SurfaceAppearance | Roblox Creator Documentation

Thank you, It now works.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the maximum resolution for an image on roblox is still 1k

Textures with a bigger resolution are downscaled back to 1k, I’d recommend not trying to waste time uploading 4k images.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.