How to use behavior trees?

I’ve been recommended to use Behavior Trees to create my enemy AI, the only problem is that there isn’t much resource out there to help me implement it. Any advice will help as I have no idea how to use this at all. I’m also open to using other methods for enemy AI so any suggestions of systems and tools will help.

I don’t think this is possible with the current state of pathfinding which is extremely limited. You would need to implement custom parameters yourself and tooling.

1 Like

It looks like using the BTrees Visual Editor v3.0 plugin would be a nice place to start. I would recommend you to install it, tweak a few knobs and see if you can get a feel for it. Maybe you can export a behavior tree and get it to work.

If you can get that to work for a bit, then read the article again. Additionally, read the referenced resources. It might take some time to fully understand how Defaultio’s Behavior Trees tooling works.

Sometimes, it is best to start somewhere. Start simple, tweak a few knobs, press a few buttons and move from there.

1 Like

Is there a better way to go about creating my enemies AI, one that allows for complex attacks and movements?